Seeds from fruit and vegetables...

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Seeds from fruit and vegetables...

Sat May 09, 2009 12:13 pm

I know this is probably a really stupid question but we have been saving seeds from peppers, melons, butternut squash and several other things for growing when we get a garden.

My question is, are these foods we buy in supermarkets (or in our case the Greengrocers) fed / sprayed with any seed suppressing chemicals or can I happily grow tomatoes from the seeds in a real tomato etc?

I know you can't just plant apple pips as they need grafting but I'm curious about other things to be grown from seed!

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Re: Seeds from fruit and vegetables...

Sat May 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Over the years being rather a tight "you know what" have planted quite an assortment of seeds from shop bought fruit and veg and they seem to grow without to much bother so if they do spray em it ain't working to well.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

JulieSherris

Sat May 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi Nic, obviously, you can save seed & then grow them - and yep, even apple pips WILL grow in time - I think off the top of my head, it takes 12 years approx from pip to fruit.... so we have a little apple tree in the garden that has about another 3 years to go - the previous folks planted a seed when they first moved in....

Other 'problems'.....
The veg or fruit that you are saving are probably not from UK stock - like 2 months ago, most garlic in the shops were from china.... then the fruits may have been had pesticides.chemicals on them for commercial use... again, the stock may be from hybrid seeds.... all factors contribute to a less than perfect harvest.

However, if it works for you & you then go on to save seed from your own stock, then go for it!

Actually, a question - has anyone tried to use a shop bought carrot for seed saving?? I was just curious..... I am going to try & save a good few carrots this year to replant next year for the seeds, but I wondered if anyone had tried this with shop bought supplies?
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

StripyPixieSocks

Sat May 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks for that!

I guess I'm going to have to try small amounts of different things to see what's going on and how they grow!

I'm getting rather over excited about getting a garden and we haven't even been offered anything yet lol but hey, it pays to be prepared!

I haven't bought Spring Onions for over a year because I just planted a load of the root ends of a packet I bought and just keep cutting them like large chives... that's saved me lots of money :)

I want to grow tomatoes and peppers in a greenhouse and lots of other fruits and veggies but we're very skint so anything that saves us a few quid here and there is a huge bonus!

JulieSherris

Sat May 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Well, hopefully, I'll have a right load of seeds this year - that's why I bought the seed saving book, so if I don't collect the seed, hubby will want to know why :mrgreen:
So for next year, I'll be able to share some with you - except carrots - that'll be the following year :roll:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Cheezy

Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 am

Most shop bought veg will have been treated with chemicals, but this usually shouldn't cause problems. Exceptions can be things like potatoes,tomatoes and garlic. The first two are suseptable to blight, and this is kept in check with chemicals. But it can still be present so if you plant this material you could be introducing blight from the start. That why seed potatoes are recommended.

Garlic is suseptable to rust, and this is again kept in check, so this can be introduced. If you move your garlic/ onions around in rotation, its not such a big problem. But it is best buying garlic bulbs from a good seed company initially, you don't have to afterwards, just keep some back for the following year.

The problem with other veg seeds is as someone has said they tend to be hydrid F1 varieties, and these do not grow the same plant from seed, if it will grow at all. My advice would be to buy your seeds initially, only choosing non hybrid types so that you can save seed from then on and never have to buy new.

Apples as someone says take an age to mature, and they NEVER produce the same apple as they come from. This is why there are thousands of apple varieties as they cross pollinate producing a new slightly different plant from the cross. And why people are scouring the old orchards looking for old varities that can be saved or used.

Same with commercial lemons and other citrus fruit, they tend to have been bred to have a low number of seeds, which tend to be infertile. They will grow as a tree but don't flower. (I grew a lemon tree from a pip that was about 25 years old until it died the other winter. And it never produced a single flower.)
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Tue May 12, 2009 10:11 pm

We have always grown butternut squashes from the seeds out of a shop bought fruit with great success. This year the seeds from a shop bought capsicum are doing better tha the packet we bought. When we ran a holiday centre we had a sceptic tank overflow and we had about 100 kilo of tomatoes (the seeds go straight through you) from around the tank. We also have about 3 unknown variety of chillis growing at the moment from various bought ones.

In short, yes you can :lol:

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

Return to “Herbs and Vegetables”