Can I eat seeds from all squashes? If so how??

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
emmalouise
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Can I eat seeds from all squashes? If so how??

Hi, I'm growing a mixture of winter squashes, mostly pumpkin & butternut squash but also some random saved seeds that I can't quite remember what they were... At the same time I'm buying tons of pumpkin seeds to put in muesli and other cooking. So I was wondering how to go about processing the seeds from my pumpkins to make them edible, and also whether I can do the same thing to the seeds of other squashes.

I've tried just roasting the seeds out of pumpkins before and think I overdid it - they had a white papery skin and were dusty inside. I sort of think that the nice dark green seeds are inside the papery skin, but is it a nightmare to get them out? I feel really thick asking this but can't work it out!

As an aside, my children have grown some beautiful sunflowers and I'm waiting to harvest the seeds from them too - any tips very welcome!

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Can I eat seeds from all squashes? If so how??

The pumpkin seeds you buy (dehusked) are not actually just any old pumpkin seed. Because as you have found out, unless you have a beak like some birds, pumpkin seeds are impossible to get into. The answer is a mutated pumpkin from Austria that produces huskless seeds, voila they come dehusked already. But don't get too excited, we grew some last year but although they were dehusked alright and were bigger than the shop ones, but with little 'meat'. So having solved one problem, you now need to discover how they grow them to produce smaller fatter seeds! Unfortunately the flesh of these pumpkins is tasteless, so its not one of those win win situations. Personally I decided to grow pumpkins for pumpkins and to buy seeds to eat.

Peggy Sue

grahamhobbs wrote:The pumpkin seeds you buy (dehusked) are not actually just any old pumpkin seed. Because as you have found out, unless you have a beak like some birds, pumpkin seeds are impossible to get into. .
In my ignorance I just roasted the seeds from my pumpkin last year and they were actually really nice. (Hundredweight variety). Maybe I was lucky.... I'm growing a more culinary one (although they were nice they were BIG) this year I do hope I cna eat the seeds...
Just Do It!

hedgewitch

Peggy Sue wrote: In my ignorance I just roasted the seeds from my pumpkin last year and they were actually really nice. (Hundredweight variety). Maybe I was lucky.... I'm growing a more culinary one (although they were nice they were BIG) this year I do hope I cna eat the seeds...
That's how it's done!
Every year I roast Pumpkin and Squash Seeds - they are delicious and surpass any shop bought ones I've had.
I'm sure there was a post on here about roasting the Seeds - I'll have a quick look.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

hedgewitch

My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.