Anywhere online I can buy non-hybrid veg seeds?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Anywhere online I can buy non-hybrid veg seeds?

We're probably looking at another year of container gardening next year, unless we manage to move somewhere with a sensible garden. A couple of people have suggested we consider buying non-hybrid seeds so we can (a) help some of the old varieties and get some interesting tomatoes etc and (b) hopefully harvest some seeds for the following year.

I can't find any round us however, so was wondering if anyone had a good online source? Thanks!
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Anywhere online I can buy non-hybrid veg seeds?

Hi,
The Organic gardening catalogue carries old seeds....I mean heritage couldn't think
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/
Becks
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

JulieSherris

And Real Seeds as well.... I love these people because they're just a young couple trying to do their bit...
www.realseeds.co.uk
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Real Seeds are very good but you can also buy lots of open pollinated seeds from the main seed manufacturers. I tend to do a large order every year from Kings Seeds who I find good value.

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've used Real Seeds too and I'd recommend them!

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I love real seeds, I'd use them for everything if I could. Not just because they have open pollinated heritage seeds and then tell you how you can save them yourself if you want to (theoretically doing themselves out of a job), but also because their philosophy is spot on. There was a great bit in their Summer newsletter which I loved so much that I hope they won't mind me reproducing here (original is at http://www.realseeds.co.uk/Newsletter09.html in the 'what's next for real seeds' section)
Real Seeds Newsletter wrote:Ben keeps having surreal conversations with advertising salespeople:

Ad Salesperson (very cheery): "Good Morning Mr Gabel. Can I call you Ben? How are you doing today? Look, let me . ."
Ben (busy working on the Kale seed ): "What are you selling?"
AS (slightly thrown, but recovering quickly): " . . .um, yes. . Can I just tell you about this exciting new opportunity to . . "
Ben: "I'm really sorry, but if you're trying to sell advertising we don't want to do any extra."
AS (persistently): "Oh? No? Why not?"
Ben: "Well, we don't want to send out more & more seed each year. We're happy as we are."
AS (getting desperate): "But this is a great chance to grow your business! Look, we're launching this new . . ."
Ben: (resigned) "Sorry, we don't want to grow the business."
AS: (completely flabbergasted): "But - but, if you sell more and more things each year you can , you can - make more profit and employ more people, and, and, and .. grow the business and, and - become richer, and . . .. "
Ben: (sadly) "No, you see, I don't believe in economic growth as a, as some sort of over-reaching life goal. I think its wrong that we've all been trained to expect more and more, bigger & bigger, living on a finite planet."
AS: "Um, thank you for your time Mr Gabel . . . <click> . . . . "
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

Peggy Sue

I love realseed too (like the Ben story above!)
Our allotment club does Kings at really low prices, so I stopped realseed for a year and bought kings- had rubbish germination rates so I'm back to realseed.
50p a packet is great but a full row of carrots is better
Just Do It!