Babbington leeks

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Babbington leeks

Anyone know anything about these?

I was given some, had them in a tub, decided to transplant them to a raised bed - they died, I forked over the bed and stuck black plastic on it. Then lifted the black plastic to plant my garlic, back end of last year and there were these peely waly straggly things - left them in and they've come away again, , i think they are perennial but i dont really know anything about them - how to grow them, how to harvest them and what to use them for - ie do i use 'em just like normal leeks - they haven't grown much over the winter but look like they are surviving - will get a pic later

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Babbington leeks

Lucky you, these are a none too common perenial leek, which multiplies (slowly) by division and by producing bulbules in the seed head. Otherwise very similiar to standard leeks, dying down in summer but ready to eat during the winter months.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just seen this post looking for something else, as it was my website I thought I'd reply. They form bulblets in September on the top of the plant. You can sow these or if you have an area of low lying scrub you can just scatter them in and they should come up.
You can eat the leaves in late winter/early spring or the whole thing before they come into flower in May/June. They work as a substitute for wild garlic, for garlic and for leeks. Good in soups and good roasted.

boboff

they look like artichoke
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

cheers, since posting this I've found good info here http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?Lat ... abingtonii
I've still not cooked with them but they are surviving well and the bulbils all grew :thumbright:

boboff

That is funny, what I thought were Babbington leeks arn't, I think I might have planted Cardoon or Arichoke or something other than a perrenial leak!

I am a rubbish Gardener who should use labels better, or indeed at all!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/