Squash. We have leaves, what now?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Hepsibah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Squash. We have leaves, what now?

I planted two butternut squash seeds in a pot in the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday there was nothing, today we have two huge leaves from each of them. Since they've been kind enough to sprout, I'd like to do my best for them but I don't have a clue. Can anyone help?
Dance like nobody's watching...

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, planting instructions usually say to place two or three seeds in each pot and then pull out the weaker/smaller ones. I however hate to do that - what waste! You could try gingerly pulling them apart and repotting separately until it's time to plant them outside.

shiney

I'm still waiting for my squash to poke their noses out of the pots. They are outside tho, but under a mini cloche thing.

These guys also pose a space problem for me as I know they are big plants. I'd really like to have some tho. Don't think I can grow these upside down, just imagine that! :shock:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let 'em grow Hep, until you get the first true leaves then you can prick them out if you want and pot them on or leave them to develop a bit more before planting them out.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Cheezy

I'm growing Butternut for the first time as well (and they're up horray!)

My intention is to try and get them to grow up into a wigwham made of bamboo, due to space problems....Am I being totally mental here or what?.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's worth a go Cheezy! I grow mine - Queensland Blue usuallly but sometimes butternut - over the shed. You will have to tie the vines on most likely and maybe use some cloth or old panyhise tied on to support the fruit, but it is definitely worth a go!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

I've got a lot of butternut coming up from the compost!!!

I think supporting butternut growing 'up' will be quite tricky from a wigwam. They do weigh a lot!

ina

Maybe I should chuck my seeds on the compost, too... Have planted butternut squash twice, and none of them are coming up. (And yes, they are in the warmest place in my house, close to the heater.) Mind you, they are seeds from shop-bought squash. But they looked perfectly mature to me - so what am I doing wrong?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't know Ina I have grown from shop bought squash before now. Dave puts the seeds in his mouth for 7 mins before planting them as he says he connects with the plant :dave:

Alternatively you can soak them overnight before planting in some diluted seaweed feed.

I wish I could tell you about growing them on a wigwam the only time I tried was when we got vandals. strangley enough they only went for squashes, pumkins, courgettes and marrows. - I think that one of them must have been wronged by the Cucurbita pepo family. I would go with nev, sounds like it could be done.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

The Chili Monster

Andy wrote:
I wish I could tell you about growing them on a wigwam the only time I tried was when we got vandals. strangley enough they only went for squashes, pumkins, courgettes and marrows. - I think that one of them must have been wronged by the Cucurbita pepo family.
Far more likely their little minds were just into the mess.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Lucy Robyn
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

When you first plant them out protect them from slugs. Even a reasonable sized plant can get eaten over night. I usually end up with lots of leaf but not much fruit. Still what I get is worth it. I've read that they can be planted with corn and beans, the three plants grow well together, I've not tried this.

Stew
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sarah Raven has a couple of photos of small pumpkins growing up a wigwam in her book, The Great Vegetable Plot.

I've had a quick search to see if I can find a picture on t'net. This is the closest I could find.

I think I could make a wigwam that would support a butternut but I think it would need some horizontal bracing as well.
Cheers,
Stew.

Stonehead

Wombat wrote:It's worth a go Cheezy! I grow mine - Queensland Blue usuallly but sometimes butternut - over the shed. You will have to tie the vines on most likely and maybe use some cloth or old panyhise tied on to support the fruit, but it is definitely worth a go!

Nev
Ah, Queensland Blue - now there's a good reason to head back to Oz. My favourite pumpkin by a country mile. With all that sugar, they're brilliant for pumpkin pie, pumpkin scones and pumpkin soup.

Now look what you've done - made me come over all nostalgic and hungry! :roll:

Stonehead

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry mate! Want me to send you some seeds?

Nev

kevin m.
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm finding this thread very helpful.
I'd planted five Butternut seeds about ten days ago,along with my usual Cucumbers and Courgettes.
Whilst the latter two romped away within 3-4 days,there was no sign of the Butternuts-until yesterday!
This morning,I have four plants properly emerging complete with seed leaves (hurray!)