Pea Pest problems

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
LouD
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Pea Pest problems

Hi, i'm new here. And relatively new to growing veg. I've done a few things in pots which seems to be largely pest/problem free but have now moved onto having a veg patch, 4X 1.2X2.4m beds and a medium greenhouse.

Just wanted to ask a question about pea pests. I've very successfully grown peas in containers, but as soon as I put them in the ground they get attacked. I thought it was slugs so put down slug pellets, put in some new plants i'd raised in pots, but these have now been attacked. So I assume it's not slugs.
Could it be mice? I thought they'd basically take the whole plant, but each plant seems to be nibbled round the edge and gets worse every day. I can't see anything on them.

Any ideas of what I can try, what it might be, or how I can find out?
Thanks

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pea Pest problems

Those semi-circular nibbles are caused by the pea weevil.
At this time of the year when peas are growing away strongly it's nothing to worry about as they only tend to nibble the bottom leaves. It's only when the pea plants are struggling, like overwintered ones in early spring, that it can knock them back a bit.
So, don't worry ... all will be fine. :mrgreen:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

LouD
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It doesn't appear to be just the lower ones though, all the leaves are being eaten right up to the top (some of the plants are about 18inchs tall).
Would this still be Pea Weevil? I'd ruled it out because it was the whole plants being eaten and not recovering.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

In that case I don't really know, but I can tell you it's probably not mice as they tend to eat the seed, not the foliage.
Best thing to do is go out quietly with a torch as late as you can, certainly after midnight, and have a look.
Pea weevils are greyish brown insects and don't move very fast if you're quiet and eat scallop shapes on the leaves.
Snails are rather partial to pea leaves as well and they will of course be obvious and eat ragged holes in the leaves.
Whatever it is, I hope you find it.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

do the slug pellets work? We still have slugs and snails despite having used the pellets (also be careful if you've got pets or young children visiting the garden).

We're getting snails on our peas and they're chomping away on the leaves - is it a problem? Will they cause so much damage that the crop will be at risk? Obviously I take them off if I see them (and photograph them cos they really are quite lovely).

That's a point Lou - perhaps you could take a photo of the damaged leaves to see if it helps with id.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Amateur
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Has anyone any ideas for dealing with pea weevils? I'be been catching and crushing them but my pea bed is completely infested and the plants are struggling :(
I think I've heard something about a nicotine spray but I'm not sure if this was for weevils? :scratch:

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Peed on pest

No problems :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Amateur

Are you serious oldfella?
If so then I have that in plentyful supply today after a night on the ale last night... :lol: