Capsicum/chilli plants hanging on...

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
MonsieurBOZ
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Capsicum/chilli plants hanging on...

Hi there,
We bought a capsicum and a chilli plant in the summer this year, and got crops to the value of about half the cost of buying them. Hey-Ho!
Now though, they are going mental, with buds all over, but I can't help noticing that the weather is not getting any warmer (even in France) and if I leave them out then the frost will no doubt kill them within a few weeks.
The question is: If I bring them in then will they continue to grow and produce fruit, or even survive the winter?
Thanks.
BOZ

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Capsicum/chilli plants hanging on...

They're perennial shrubs in their native habitat, so as long as you can keep them going through the winter, they'll be fine - and you should get a lot more off them next year. Not sure that I'd let them keep trying to fruit through the winter though...
Cheers

Dunc

Peggy Sue

Last year I grew a few plants and got a novilty amount of crop, then 'overwintered' a few plants inside. This year I have a greenhouse :iconbiggrin: so I grew quite a few plants to get myself enough to be worth it and also put my overwintered one surviving plant. Think my house may be a bit cold for the overwintering.

Interstingly my new seedlings really thrived producing loads and loads of chillis and peppers (I've had to freeze bagloads) but the overwintered one just never picked up.

For me I shan't bother trying to bring them in this year, and perhaps I need to grow a few less plants with the greenhouse benefit :lol:
Just Do It!

gregorach

Mine did very poorly in the greenhouse this year... Stupid B&Q peat free "grow bags" - nothing grew in them. Just didn't root down... Anyway, I've got one wee "Purple" sitting on the window sill at home, we'll see how it fairs next year.
Cheers

Dunc

dave45

My pepper plants (grown from seed in feb/mar) did very little for 6 months and those that have survived have flourished since september and "gone mental" too... looking very healthy in the greenhouse, with full-grown peppers, flowers and babies...

So should I leave the plant as is overwinter, pick the fruit and flowers off or what?