Broad beans

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

Broad beans

What a lovely treat! I've just had my first broad beans for lunch with bacon - what a combination - just beautiful. I love broad beans, and here in Brittany I rarely see them in the shops, so growing my own, as I did last year, seemed the only option. They were tiny and wonderful and there's no taste like them.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Broad beans

I'm going to pick a few tonight and put in a new potato salad. I have to take off the skin though as I can't stand them! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My broad beans in the polytunnel are now up to the roof but only flowers as yet. we are off to England for a spell on Monday so I had better have a chat with them so that I can enjoy the delights of bacon & beans. (the runners are just starting to produce - bonus for my neighbour for watering) :wink:

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Dr.Syn wrote:My broad beans in the polytunnel are now up to the roof but only flowers as yet. we are off to England for a spell on Monday so I had better have a chat with them so that I can enjoy the delights of bacon & beans. (the runners are just starting to produce - bonus for my neighbour for watering) :wink:
If you want the broad beans a bit earlier another year try pinching out the growing tops when the first beans have set at the bottom and are showing as little pods. The tops can be used in a stir fry and also it helps prevent blackfly attacks

I have been picking for a while and will harvest the last tomorrow and the plants will come out to make room for melons, but I have some more broad beans starting in flower following on in the garden.

All the best
Sue

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mine are almost there, small pods at the moment where I could probably pick and eat small beans but I'll wait till they're a bit bigger. Broad beans with bacon sounds divine!
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Mine have tiny pods on and I've just pinched out all the tops, though a little to late to prevent blackfly attack, so I won't be eating the tops, unfortunately. My fingers smell nice, though :icon_smile:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Peggy Sue

The ones I sew in autumn get to eat 2-3 weeks early. I got some autumn ones about 3 weeks ago and some spring ones this weekend. They say broad beans can survive minus 8C but we had -9C one night and just a few got a little brown and soon regrew. worth doing.
Just Do It!

dibnah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Due to the lack of rain broad beans are about the best thing in our garden, been harvesting for about a week now still quite small but I can't stop popping them open. I don't know how people get things to the kitchen most things are munched on the way round in our garden, must try harder!!

willp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Been eating the small beans from about 3 weeks ago but got a bit fed up with them to be honest.

I`ll have a bit of a rest from them while the remaining pods get full sized.

Bacon Good!!

Will

grahamhobbs

Will people stop this thread, I've had enough - all our early beans were eaten by squirrels this year. We've only manage to sneak about 6 tiny little beans, normally we have a glut that we freeze. Will try to net the next batch, but them squirrels are so crafty they always find a way in.

Over the years, the squirrels have gradually increased the crops they go for, first it was the hazels, then sweet corn, peaches, cherries, pears, peas, and now broad beans and peas. I'm frightened they will discover Borlotti and butter beans, by then the allotment will look like a permanent battlefield with nets and cages everywhere.

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

"If you want the broad beans a bit earlier another year try pinching out the growing tops when the first beans have set at the bottom and are showing as little pods." from Sue

My beans have pods on so am assuming it is too late to do as Sue has suggested but not really sure what to do. What does 'beans set at the bottom mean'? :scratch: I'd like to try this next year.

Misty :flower:

Millymollymandy

I think she means when it's gone from being flowers to little pods appearing. I didn't know that made the beans ripen quicker.

Had some last night, with the skin on too, and it wasn't bitter! Result!! :cheers:

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm going to try the broad bean and bacon idea. Sounds great and I would never have thought of putting them together.

Misty

godfreyrob
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My favourite crop - mostly reliable and comes early in the year. This year they did seem to flower earlier than usual when the plants were relatively small - but looks like a good crop (ready this weekend I hope)>

Did anyone see Monty Don recently on GW saying you should peel skin off each bean? Unless the beans are really old and big I can't see the point (and how long would it take?).

Millymollymandy

I do that but it doesn't take long, cos just a few mins in boiling water depending on size loosens and splits the skin so they just pop out. Mind you the last few days I've been eating them WITH the skin on and it is not bitter!!!!!!!!