Too late for another pea sowing?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
godfreyrob
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Too late for another pea sowing?

First sowings are finished and I was wondering if I could get another crop going?
If so what variety would be useful?

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Too late for another pea sowing?

If you plant an early variety they should produce before it gets too late.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Coincidentally I sowed a row of earlies (Douce Provence) yesterday and I expect to pick them in October.
I have grown them at this time before, not every year as I usually have a glut of runner beans at that time but this year my runners aren't doing too well (trying a new variety).
That will probably perk them up and I will have a glut of runners AND peas in October. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

One of the problems of sowing at this time is the tendency for them to get hit with mildew. I've heard Balmoral and Starlet are varieties developed for a late sowing, but I haven't tried them. Interesting what Odsox says about using Douce de Provence, as this is suitable as an over-wintering variety.

grahamhobbs

Douce de Provence is a round seeded variety that I use as an over wintering pea (in the polytunnel) but I discover it is a cross between Meteor and Kelvedon Wonder, unfortunately it is not as tasty as Kelvedon Wonder, best if picked young.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

The reasoning behind my choice of pea variety Graham is that leaving aside the fact that Douce de Provence can overwinter, first early peas take about 12 weeks to produce a crop, sown now - harvest middle to end of October.
If I planted a maincrop variety it would take up to 16 weeks (depending on the variety), so harvest at the end of November which would probably mean little crop .. if any.
I'm not convinced that there is a hard and fast rule that first early vegetables should only be grown in early spring followed by a maincrop variety later on. As long as you accept that a "first early" variety will probably produce a smaller crop than it's maincrop cousin, I think you can take advantage of it's shorter maturing time as a catch crop ... which in my case is sowing them where my shallots and garlic came out and which would otherwise probably stay empty. :shock:
Tony

grahamhobbs

Hi Odsox, I understood the logic of using a quick growing 'early' pea, was I thinking an overwintering type might resist mildew better than a wrinkle seeded early pea, not sure what I was thinking or whether there is any logic in thinking along those lines.
Anyway, I had some Douce de provence left over, so I've bunged some in as well.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes mildew might be a problem Graham, but it's not a problem I get. As I always understood it, sort of rule of thumb, that mildew is triggered when susceptible plants are wet at the leaves and dry at the roots. Not the sort of conditions I get very often. :iconbiggrin:
So if we both have some Douce Provence in at roughly the same time we can swap notes.
Tony

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I keep trying to sow another lot but they're being eaten as soon as they're sprouting, or before. :( At least my others are still producing.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has anyone tried "Alderman", and if so what do they taste like ?
I've always wanted to grow them but I have always had a fairly windy garden. Now though, I have a tunnel with a nine foot ridge so ought to have enough height to grow some inside but at the expense of some other tall growing veg (like borlotto).
Just wondering if they are worth the trouble.
Tony

grahamhobbs

hi Odsox, they are a main crop so despite the polytunnel I assume you are thinking of them for next year. They are a very good sweet pea and growing them in a polytunnel will get over the big difficulty of tall varieties, that of protecting them from birds.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Graham, yes I'm thinking about next year and what I'm going to grow and where it's all going to be grown. That's the thing about this gardening lark, always living in the future. :iconbiggrin:
One other question about Alderman, is the yield commensurate with their height, i.e. twice as much as a 3' variety ?
Tony

grahamhobbs

Odsox, I wouldn't say so but I'm not the best person to ask, I only grew it a couple of times because of the difficulties at the time of providing something for it to grow up and protecting it from the birds, and that was a few years ago, but my impression was that it probably gave a bit more of a crop but not double. But I'll ask my friend he grows Alderman most years.
I've since learnt how to make my own nets (that I'm using for my melons and cucumbers to grow up), so I had been toying with growing some tall pea varieties again. Even taller varieties are Telephone, Magnus Boram, Grave Digger.

Millymollymandy

I've got them coming up in the space I cleared where they and the mange tout were and now have sown other crops. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odsox wrote:So if we both have some Douce Provence in at roughly the same time we can swap notes.
I think I may have got my timing a bit wrong Graham, as those peas I sowed are just starting to flower.
They will probably start sometime towards the end of September instead of October as I had planned.
Oh well, at least they freeze as I shall probably still be inundated with runner beans. :iconbiggrin:
Tony