Sowing in vermiculite

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sowing in vermiculite

Have you tried sowing in vermiculite? Closest I can find is to what I mean http://www.seedsite.eu/zaaiinstructies.htm

We visited an open garden in Louth this year where the owners sow 100s of different varieties in recycled clear takeaway boxes with lids. These are stacked up in a lean to all winter and inspected weekly for signs of growth. When germination starts the boxes are moved to the greenhouse and the lids are left off. The seedlings are pricked out as soon as big enough and those too small or not germinated left in box to grow on.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Sowing in vermiculite

interesting. Is there a source online about which seeds need light and which need dark for germination i wonder. This method would really suit me as i have just seed up a greenhouse area.

southeast-isher

I've got an anxiety thing with vermiculite... isn't it supposed to be as dangerous as asbestos or something i think i read?

marshlander

southeast-isher wrote:I've got an anxiety thing with vermiculite... isn't it supposed to be as dangerous as asbestos or something i think i read?
Not unless you make a habit of regularly breathing in vast quantities of the dust over a long period. It's a natural mineral and is dampened to use. Here's a safety sheet http://www.dupreminerals.com/downloads/ ... e-msds.pdf
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

southeast-isher

marshlander wrote:
southeast-isher wrote:I've got an anxiety thing with vermiculite... isn't it supposed to be as dangerous as asbestos or something i think i read?
Not unless you make a habit of regularly breathing in vast quantities of the dust over a long period. It's a natural mineral and is dampened to use. Here's a safety sheet http://www.dupreminerals.com/downloads/ ... e-msds.pdf
oh okay i guess i am just a bit over cautious

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apparently there was a health risk some years ago (pre-1990). The first vermiculite was mined at a place which also had a decent asbestos seam, and this adulterated the vermiculite. However, that was vermiculite destined to be made into sheet products (ironically, to replace asbestos sheeting). I can't find any reference to any health hazard concerning its use for gardens.

You're safe, I think.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)