help me!! making vagetables in apartment

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
DDD
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

help me!! making vagetables in apartment

Hello everyone ..
At the moment I live in an apartment in Aarhus and I would like to grow some vegetables, and for that I have been in the supermarket for some seeds and I bought these:

- Sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum)
- Mini cucumber (Cucumis sativus)
- Summer carrot (Daucus Carota L)
- Basil (Ocimum Basilicum L)
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare L.)
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
- Cherry tomato (solanum lycopersicum)
- Chives (Allium schoenoprasum)
- Sweet peas (pisum sativum)
- Squash (Cucurbita pepo)
- Ground beans (Phaseolus vulgaris)
- Leek (allium ampeloprasum)
- Spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.)
- Lettuce (lactuca sativa)
- Onions (Allium cepa)
- Tomato (solanum lycopersicum)

and I would like to try to plant at least 1 of each kind for learning about all of them for a future use when I will be more self-sufficient.
but I do not know so much about growing vegetables.

Can I for example just find some dirt outside the city and take it home and use it for growing vegetables in? or I can just take dirt from the common courtyard area where I live? I am just thinking about if it is polluted by plastic and charcoal or drained of energy because it is completely covered by lawn and hedges ..
or is there some specific places where the soil is better than anywhere else? for example, soil from a forest, or soil from a cornfield, etc.?
and should I go for a special type of soil and can I use the same soil for all the vegetables?

I know that I have not to plant seeds in sand but in normal dirt, but how do I know that it is good soil and if there are the right minerals and all that and that there are no toxic chemicals?
I'd prefer to avoid to buy a package of dirt if I can because I am trying to keep cost down..

and can I put the seeds in some old plastic boxes like old jam jars, old meat boxes, and old creme fraiche plastic glass etc. or should it be the original plastic pots? Is this matter ..?
Should I make holes in the bottom of them so they work just as the normal pots or can I just leave them as they are ?

and is it best if I start to plant them all in my window in the living room and then later put them out and maybe plant them in larger pots or boxes?

- Beyond that, I also picked up a small stick from a mulberry plant that I want to make a plant of, but I am not sure how to do.
It is a stick with many other soft and new branches on.. should i put these new branches in the dirt individually or should I just stick it all as a "great" branch?

- And then I have some strawberry plants from my parents .. but how should they be adapted? Can I just put them in pots and then put them in the window or can i put them out immediately? and can I possibly share a strawberry plant up by chopping it over? sharing it up into several branches with a root on each branch ..

- I have found near a bustop a bush which I suspect to be raspberry and I want to steal a few branches for plant, but how should I manage to get them to grow? or is it better to take a few plants with the roots and everything (there are so many so I dont think it's something anyone will notice)

- And have a few potatoes that I bought to eat but have roots and I therefore would like to try to plant them, how is this done? when should they be planted and can you cut a potato in several pieces, depending on how many roots are on it? Is it okay if there is one root on each piece before to put it in the dirt?

hope you can help me, I would really like to learn more about it and get a good "harvest"

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: help me!! making vagetables in apartment

just a small question, do you have a garden you can use or a balcony or if not where are you going to grow your plants, some of the things you want to grow ie squash, potatoes, beans need space