freezing leeks

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

freezing leeks

Hi again folks,

I've still got too many leeks in the garden and was wondering about freezing them. I'm sure that in the past I've blanched them in hot water for a couple of minutes rolling boil then put them on a tray and into the freezer for a flash freeze. when cold bag up and use later.
At least that's what i think I did but doing searches I can only find plumbing sprays to freeze leeks in pipes.....

Help :icon_smile: :iconbiggrin:
Big Al
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: freezing leeks

Hi Al, leeks don't freeze that well, they do go a bit stringy and limp, but if you want to have a go and then use them straight from the freezer for soup or stew, they would be ok, I had to freeze a lot of onions when they froze in the bad winter, and justused them from frozen in bolognese sauce. Cut them into chunks, blanche for a minute in boiling water then transfer into a large bowl of cold water, strain them off and freeze on trays then pack into containers or bags, if you freeze on a tray, you can get individual bits more easily, hope this helps, best wishes Lyn

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

slice them and fry them off first freeze much better this way :icon_smile:
Darn that Wabbit

Big Al

Thanks for the info. I had done a few of them, like 25 leeks the par boiled method and then read the other sugestion so I did the rest like that so now i have an enormouse amount of frozen leeks ready for my culinary wizardry over the comming months. Thanks once again for your help. :grouphug:

Alan
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger