yellow tata's

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
chip kobb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

yellow tata's

Hello whilst feeling rather proud of myself for already enjoying my early spuds I do appear to have a problem. Ive noticed that many of my plants have developed yellow leaves at an alarming rate it started on lower leaves but its working its way up! When I say yellow I mean really yellow with no sign of black spots or the light browning from the veins outwards that my book mentioned. Ive never manured/limed or treated the patch in any way and last year I planted runner beans on only half the plot. Should I pull them all up now or treat with some watered in fertilizer stuff (not sure what?) all advice welcome

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yellow tata's

It depends rather on what variety they are and when you planted them.
Mine also have yellowing leaves from the base up and then turning brown .... but that is because they have finished growing and have come to the end of their life, or dying of natural causes if you prefer.
So if they are first earlies and have a reasonable crop of spuds and you planted them at least 12 weeks ago, then yours are probably the same.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

From what I remember a shortage of magnesium can cause yellowing of the leaves in some plants. I am not sure if this applies to potatoes.
I think my dad used dilute Epsom salt solution to help cure problem.
It might be worth checking this out but I could be wrong it's only a idea.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Odsox, sounds like the spuds are nearly finished growing as they are yellowing from the bottom. Strangely, my Sante potatoes are looking a bit like that and on inspection it would appear that they have indeed produced some whoppers already, overtaking the second earlies outside in the bed next to them which I think is slightly weird, but heyho. I think a magnesium deficiency shows itself as brown spots on the leaves

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Time to eat them.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Talking of spuds, I came across some interesting info this afternoon.
I was searching Sarpo and in particular Sarpo Shona and Sarpo Kifli, which I wanted to grow this year but couldn't, anyway .. this Scottish site says that Sarpo (Mira & Axona) keep on growing until the frosts and the longer they grow the harder the spuds get. If you ignore the lush haulm and dig them in August they are apparently quite edible. :iconbiggrin:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-styl ... s.16775601
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.