Avocados

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Nonogon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34
longitude: 34

Avocados

Hi all,

I'm trying to grow an avocado tree from a stone in a shop bought avocado, more for interest than anything else. I googled how to grow it and at the moment it's sitting half in water, suspended by some needles stuck into it resting on the top of the pot. It's been on my windowsill about 3 weeks now and I know it's meant to take a while before anything happens but I noticed yesterday that the stone is starting to go furry and look a bit mouldy. Do you think it's had it?

Hope someone can give me some advice.
Thanks. :flower:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Avocados

I never had much luck doing that , they always went mouldy. The best luck (unintentional) I had was the ones I threw into the compost bin; the heat and moisture in there must have been the right conditions to start them germinating, what about putting them into a pot of compost keep them moist and pop into the airing cupboard, that might work, I have a lot of chicken manure in my heap so it gets very hot so I don't think the heat would harm the pip

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Nonagon

I have three growing on my window sill! The first took 2 months+ to grow, the 2nd nearer three. Didn't have any mould growing on them but they were a little slimy as I didn't clean them before growing. I used the same technique as you but with wooden toothpicks rather than needles. After a while they split then a root grew out the bottom. The growth at the top appeared about 10 days later. I don't know what I am going to do with them now though :dontknow:

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

Nonogon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34
longitude: 34

Thanks guys. I might leave the one on the windowsill for a but longer then, it seems a shame to give up after such a long time when it might be nearly there! The airing cupboard idea is a good one, think they like the heat so i might try that as well. JuzaMum, do you think you'll ever get any avocados growing from them?

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Nonogon wrote: JuzaMum, do you think you'll ever get any avocados growing from them?
No. I don't really have space in the house for a tree! Maybe if you had a very large greenhouse or conservatory?

I would give it at least another month before you give up.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

The daughter grew one from a stone that is now 4' high in a pot in the tunnel (pictures to follow)

If at first you don't succeed...
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

doofaloofa

2 year plant
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

chadspad

I have 2 growing at the moment and have had several in the past all just grown by putting the stone in a plant pot and leaving it! Ive never bothered putting them over water, just bung them in a pot and they all come up!
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/