And so it begins ...

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

And so it begins ...

... new season seed sowing that is.

I have just sowed a tray of onions seed, a half tray each of cauliflower, summer PSB & Bulgarian giant leeks. Sowed a small pot of lettuce and several pots of dwarf French beans, and tomorrow I shall sow the Sweet Pea seed that is now soaking.
I also potted up 4 chitted tomato seedlings for my annual early tomato trials, this year being Sub Arctic Plenty and Stupice.

On Friday I concreted the path in one of my polytunnels and I should be able to walk on it tomorrow, which will allow me to get in there and sow a row of early peas and a row of broad beans.

So it's all systems go down in this neck of the woods, well with this happening in my lawn spring is almost here (I wish) :iconbiggrin:
Daffs.jpg
Daffs.jpg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: And so it begins ...

I was just thinking about firing up the propagator for my Latah tomatoes and all the pepper seeds I have. The hotbed I made late last year has provided me with lots of nice lettuce seedlings, claytonia, purslane etc, I did a trial and sowed some direct into the bed in the small tunnel, but they are only just starting to germinate, so my hotbed worked really well for me. I have just filled another compost bin with chicken bedding so I will get that cooking nicely and do the same again, I think I will sow things in trays this time as I sowed them into the compost I put on top.

I haven't seen any daffs up yet, although I saw some tulip leaves coming though in a pot which is a bit early. It feels very warm today, in spite of the fact it froze solid yesterday, I went out just after midnight and it was very cold, but this morning all the frost had gone and it had turned very mild. Living in the NW, we get much cooler weather here. The daylight is starting to increase, I was out til 4.50, the winter has seemed very short this year

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well - I spent some time going through the seed catalogue (Tuckers) today and marking all the stuff I want, but I probably won't end up buying any 'cause I don't really have the money to spend and don't have room for it all anyway... I'll just get what I can cheaply from Lidl's or so, and otherwise make do with what I have left over from last year (and before). But there are plenty of bulbs pushing up here, too - not quite sure what they all are!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yup, OH has had his sowing head on this weekend too. Tomatoes, onion seeds, leeks, peppers, chillies, caulis, herbs, sweet peas :iconbiggrin: , okra, aubergines, goji berries, physalis and rocket. Oh, and garlic out in one of the raised beds.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

dave45

It was 20C in the greenhouse today (yes THAT homebrew greenhouse) so I planted a row of pea seeds as an experiment. Also trying bringing in strawberry plants to grow under the grape vines (growing along wires about 1.2 m high)

Flo

Don't have a greenhouse so can't be setting much stuff away early. We are late starters up here in the north east. I've got sweet peas in the house from yesterday. Will be looking at the onion seeds today but do have Japanese onions and garlic already showing on the allotment.

Will have to be looking at the broad beans - have bought a later sowing rather than the over wintering aquadulce as the bed isn't yet ready to take them. Need to move the mint when the compost comes in at end of week and then compost up the spare bed.

At home in back garden, the daffodil bulbs aren't as far on as diggers but are showing well along with the crocus and snowdrops. New bulbs in last autumn so not naturalised yet.

Still picking sprouts from last year. Have a few miserable cabbages too. So it's not quite out with the old and in with the new.

ina

Flo wrote: Will have to be looking at the broad beans - have bought a later sowing rather than the over wintering aquadulce as the bed isn't yet ready to take them.
I had very patchy results with autumn sowings - and in the end the ones I resowed in spring caught up with the others, anyway, so I now just stick to spring sowing!

Yes, I have sprouts (one "tree"), a couple of cabbages, and kale left, too. And quite a few what I believe are purple sprouting broccoli... (I got a few mystery plants from a friend - all brassica, but the rest was surprise!)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

becks77

I have tomatoe seedlings on the windowsill but my greenhouse is more like a huge cold frame due to my neighbour put their *ahem* through the glass whilst doing the fence :(
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"