Light box

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Light box

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:54 am

Apologies for not posting anything lately, I have been busy trying getting on top of all those jobs that I let slide last year when I did my back in.
So, I thought I'd post this photo (again) of my light box. This is more or less for new members who might not have come across this essential piece of kit for starting early crops.
It's just a reasonably substantial cardboard box with the top and one side almost removed (leave an edge all around the cut to keep it all in shape) and then lined with kitchen foil. That's it, although you will notice that I have added a grow light, but that's not really necessary especially if you live where the sun shines more often than it does here.
Then place on a sunny window sill and all you seedlings will grow sturdy and straight, not all weak and drawn and leaning towards the light.

The 3 larger plants are my this year's early tomato tests, 2 Sub Arctic Plenty and 1 Stupice, since taking this photo they have now been potted on.
The other tom seedlings are Ferline, Gardeners Delight, Tigerella, Green Zebra and Dr Carolyn, plus 3 unnamed from saved seed that I grow every year. (I call it Lidl purely because that's where I bought the original fruit, not to be confused with Ildi, a commercial variety :iconbiggrin: )

2015-02-17 09.22.27.jpg
2015-02-17 09.22.27.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 1087 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Light box

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Great idea - and so simple, really!

Now I just need to find a sunny windowsill... ;)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Light box

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:44 pm

Unfortunately, my windowsill is filled with very tall tomato plants, which are just growing away happily and not making any tomatoes yet, another failed experiment, drat drat drat.

Return to “Herbs and Vegetables”