Growing vegetables all year round

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Growing vegetables all year round

Hi All

I would like to go from just growing a lot veg in the summer to growing a smaller amount but all year round.

We are going to be designing an aquaponics system in the dome and i might have a go at micro greens but what other things can i grow all year round or through the off season

Paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Growing vegetables all year round

If you have the space in the dome, there are quite a lot of veg you can grow through the winter months.
I would think that your climate is similar to mine, so what I grow should be doable with you.

This week I am about to sow some calabrese, about 6 is ideal for the 2 of us and they will be planted out in the tunnel. I have grown them like this for a few years now and they head up from mid October onwards, but then produce side shoots all the way through till February, and because of the cooler temperatures they grow slower and we are not overwhelmed.
I also grow cauliflowers similarly. The variety All Year Round sown at the beginning of July head up in November in the tunnel and I sow some more in October for heading up in Feb/March.
Spring cabbage I sow in mid August and winter lettuce at the beginning of September (lettuce will go in the hydroponics)
Round seeded early peas I sometimes sow in the autumn, but I've found that spring sown ones mature only a week or two later, so I only autumn sow if I have spare space, and the same goes for broad beans.

Other than that I grow tomatoes, spring onions and French beans indoors for an over winter crop, but you need a south facing window for that and an understanding wife. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've actually had veg all through winter - more or less unintentionally... I still pick some of last years rocket every day now! A mild winter meant various stuff survived that would normally have come to an end at some point. On the other hand, a so far rather cold summer means that not a lot of new stuff has grown...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

We did have purple sprouting broccoli and chard all through the winter

paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We keep planning for all year round veg in the polytunnel. Then life, and mother nature, keep interfering. This last year we had salad leaves, carrots, beetroot and psb in the polytunnel and kale in the garden.

Unfortunately the storms put paid to the polytunnel crops (except the psb) but we've been picking the kale up unitl a few weeks ago and I'm just about to pull it all up after we harvested a black bin liner full of seed heads :shock:

The dreadful summer has meant everything is much later than usual and we're already several weeks :shock: behind you so it looks like we might be picking summer stuff in the autumn anyway. :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin