Squash harvest

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squash harvest

Here's an interesting one.
This year I sowed 3 different squash varieties, Harrier Butternut, Potimarron and a new one for me, Georgia Candy Roaster.
The Butternut is described in various seed catalogues as being British bred for cooler summers, and according to T&M it was the first to ripen in their trials.
The Potimarron I've grown before and normally grows well but wasn't that happy this year, but the 3 butternut plants sulked and then died.
The Georgia Candy Roaster romped away and immediately set fruit which has now matured.

I think the Georgia bit is the US state, but even if it's the country they are both a LOT hotter than this miserable summer, so it seems that you can't predict what will do well in a difficult year.

The pathetic Potimarrons are from THREE plants, there were 5 Candy roasters on my one plant, but we already ate one and the largest one in the picture is just over 3.7 Kg
Squash.jpg
Squash.jpg (147.45 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Squash harvest

The candy roasters look the same as ones I grew a few years ago which were called jumbo pink banana.
Mine are not great this year - hardly surprising considering the weather. I have some Queensland blues that are looking quite good, and various other big squash/pumpkins. Not sure how many of them are going to mature and ripen enough before the winter though. I've Picked some autumn crown and butternuts - they are fairly small but look ok. Not eaten any yet as I'm keeping them in the sun? to ripen some more :sunny: :iconbiggrin:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We have one acorn squash which is tiny and unlikely to get much bigger or riper (although we have had some lovely weather for the last 3-4 days so it might catch up a bit.

If it doesn't can I use it for anything? Other than the obvious composting, of course.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

This candy roaster is still producing fruit which will most certainly not mature. We eat them anyway, as with immature butternuts, the same as courgettes are immature marrows.
Never much in the way of flavour, but fine for bulking out a dish.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.