Hungry gap sowing

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hungry gap sowing

I must stress before I start that I'm talking about my polytunnel, as Flo would quickly point out it's far too early to sow seed outdoors.
But, I checked the soil temperature in the tunnel today and it's a very nice 10 C about 2" down.
Coupled with my now extensive garden diaries I can see that I sow the same seeds at roughly the same time every year, and this year will be no different.
So today I sowed a pinch of cauliflower and calabrese in pots and started up the heated propagator, also sowed a pinch of Winter Gem lettuce, and in the tunnel I sowed a row of Deuce Provence peas.

Unless we have really, really bad winter (a la 1963) then I should have broccoli heads for cutting about the first week of April, cauliflowers from early May (although I should have some over-wintering ones before that) and peas in mid-May.
As well as lettuces and spring cabbage in March from the greenhouse hydro.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Hungry gap sowing

Flo won't even be testing the soil on her allotment in the proper gardener's fashion (bare bum to soil) at present as it's about frozen at the moment.

Couple of weeks back the local vegetable growing cooperative recorded -4.5 degrees c in the poly tunnel that had the paraffin heater on a low setting in it. The grower there was not amused. And yes he does have over wintering stuff in his poly tunnels!

bonniethomas06

Jealous! V. Jealous. The soil outside was like concrete this morning, frozen absolutely solid.

Although it's got me thinking, I do have a small border in the greenhouse... depends on how long the chooks need it because of this avian flu business...
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm afraid my hungry gap efforts mainly run to sprouting seeds on my windowsill for salads. The temperatures aren't bad here but the light levels are. However that might alter if this hydroponic malarkey takes off (although I don't think we'll be able to sustain ourselves for long with one, 3 pod, unit)!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm surprised you haven't experimented with grow lights, like this for instance. 2 watts for 12 hours a day for a spot plant or seedlings wouldn't cost too much.
I have a strip light version over my windowsill type propagator and it works wonders for non-leggy seedlings.
Just a thought.

Disclaimer, I have never used an LED one ... yet.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I know, Ted kept trying to convince to install gro-lights in the polytunnel but it all seemed a bit complicated. Maybe, now himself is seeing how well this unit is doing we might progress.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

becks77

He he bare bum to soil, not heard that one before, don't think my neighbours would approve
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Flo

Cor blimey - oldest soil temperature check for is it warm enough to sow? Well if you wouldn't sit on soil why should the poor little seeds with no clothes on grow? :mrgreen: