Radish and turnip

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Radish and turnip

1. I bought some new radish seed before coming across some old ones in the shed. Regarding the old ones, will they be safe to eat as microgreens, either up to a cress-like point or with a few more leaves (assuming they are still viable), and
2. in an effort to get a wee bit more for my money, am I likely to be successful in cutting the tops of shop-bought turnips and sitting them in a saucer of water to grow some turnip tops for salad?
Thank you!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Radish and turnip

Yes to both of your questions.
Radish seed should remain viable for at least 6 years, regardless what it says on the packet.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yes, indeed. The radish seed have started to sprout and the turnip tops have grown a good centimetre since I put them in a saucer of water!

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Showing my Oz ignorance again, but how do you (can you) use turnip tops and are there any particular varieties that are better than others? I have eaten the turnip bulb from varieties planted for livestock grazing and they are fine but are the tops OK?
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turnip tops are (or used to be) a vital source of greens in spring, along with the flowering shoots of Brussels sprouts and cabbage stumps, which all got lumped together as "spring greens". Or used to be called spring greens as the supermarkets now sell immature cabbages as spring greens when they should really be called collards.
Basically it was frugaldom when it was a lifestyle, by making very good use of spent plants to produce another crop when fresh food was scarce.
Turnip greens are actually very tasty.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.