tomato varietys less prone to blossom rot

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

tomato varietys less prone to blossom rot

are some tomato varieties less prone to blossom rot. i tried calcium and steady watering and get problems need a variety less prone pls any suggestions

Flo

Re: tomato varietys less prone to blossom rot

Don't think so gunners. The general consensus seems to be that the answer lies in the soil and keeping it moist. The internet doesn't seem to have any sensible answers.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As it happens I can name 2 varieties that are less prone to blossom end rot, although I suppose it should be "I can name a variety that is MORE prone to blossom end rot". Make up your own mind on that.

I am growing 4 tomato plants in a self watering pod and a month os so ago the ball valve got clogged and it went dry for some time. One variety, Black from Tula, suffered badly from BER, while 2, Matina & Crimson Crush were unscathed.
The Crimson Crush by the way was grown from saved seed from an F1 blight resistant plant.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't know about varieties, gunners, but a watering tip might help in the short term.

We bought a load of terracotta plant pots and saucers (enough for one per plant) and we sealed the holes up with silicone. We bought them online after trialling one we got from a garden centre.

We bury them, up to the rim, next to each tomato plant, fill with water and cover with the saucer. Being porous they leak a small steady amount of water - the soil on top feels dry but the plants never wilt. Saves on water and cuts down on the frequency you need to water. The only time you need to water with a can is to feed them.

It's our version of the olla system used in S America. You can buy proper ones but they're very pricey.

Also, chucking a couple of cans of water on the floor of the greenhouse helps cool it and provide a bit of humidity.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

mulching is also the key to avoiding blossom end rot, I use a lot of grass mowings in my tunnel, grow hundred of pounds of tomatoes a year and never have a problem, use soaker hose in the soil and then a good mulching