Pea harvest

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pea harvest

First pick of peas today for freezing.
I grow them every year specifically for freezing for the winter (along with sweetcorn) for when we get fed up with cabbage and sprouts, or when it's too nasty to go outdoors and get something fresh.
I do also grow shorter rows for eating fresh in season.

Anyway, it's a terrible yield this year, although not unexpected. They were late being sown as the ground was too wet to cultivate and now it's too dry for growth and swelling pods. There will be at least one more pick, but I'm not expecting much more quantity.
I estimate that I will only get 1/3 of the amount that I should be getting. I have watered the rows several times a week, but that is a poor substitute for rain especially as I don't have the patience to stand with a hosepipe for the hour or so it really needs.
But I have space to grow some more in the tunnel for harvesting in late October, although they will have to be mildew resistant variety Ambassador rather that the Hurst Green Shaft I normally grow.

3 packs now in the freezer, picked, shelled and frozen in about half an hour.
peas.jpg
peas.jpg (140.98 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

dungareegirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Pea harvest

At least you got some :icon_smile: my neighbour up here in Meath had same problems and reckons he only got enough for one dinner. He normally has pounds and pounds of them. its been the maddest year.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

You have 3 packets of peas in the freezer? Well done. We're really pushing it to get any to eat never mind freeze.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well the rain we had has helped. The second pick today resulted in just over a Kilo shelled weight, so another 4 packs in the freezer, 7 double servings total
One slight drawback is that about 10% of the peas had unsurprisingly split their skins, which really doesn't matter, but about 10% of those had started going manky in the split, which although tasted OK would look a bit unsavoury when served up.

Tomorrow I shall sow an 24' row of mildew resistant peas in my tunnel where the maincrop onions have just vacated.
Hopefully I should get some more for the freezer in early October.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.