When is everything planting out their Spuds?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
mew
Living the good life
Living the good life

When is everything planting out their Spuds?

Ive got 4 varieties of spuds to plant 1st earlies, 2nd earlies, 1st and 2nd mains and since its my first time at growing veg just wondered when everyone else was planning to plant theirs out?

Im eager to get them in but dont want to fall at the first hurdle.

MEW

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

My first earlies have gone in already, they have been in for about a week.

probably a bit too early really, as they are from the solaces family (nightshade) similar to tomatoes and generally people plant them after the danger of frost has passed. I decided that instead of earthing up I would cover them with straw this year and I am hoping that will protect them against frost.

Have you seen this?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

I put a row of HOme Guard in yesterday as the shoots were getting a bit big have earthed them up with a little mound and planted them deepish to give them a chance if we have a frost, still got Saxon, Sante,Nadine and Golden Wonder to put in yet, have to do my ironing today so they will have to wait until tomorrow ! :lol:

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

my first earlies went in yesterday. (Red duke of yorks) and they went onto a tyre of muck (snuggled them into a four inch layer of topsoil) and will be piling on more muck in more tyres as the shoots grow.

I believe it is tradditional to plant maincrops on good friday, insulated with the first lawn cuttings of the season....I'll see how the weather goes.

Merry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

My Red Duke of Yorks went in yesterday on a good bed of my own-made compost. I usually plant quite deep with minimal earthing up.

mattachinelee
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Grow Your Own Potatoes competition has started in schools (links to the Eco Schools promotions) and our potatoes have spent two weeks 'chitting' sat in an egg box on a window sill and were planted last week. First earlies, due to be dug up and weighed on 21st June (thats the competition part of it) then joyfully cooked and eaten by the children! :mrgreen:

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Was planning top plant out the desiree and the charlotte today or tomorrow once I prepare the bed for them
Rohen the Dobermann owner

Pilsbury
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

well when i empted my compost bin at the end of the year there was a couple of perfect little potaotes which had formed from the plants that had grown from peelings in the bin, when i seived and bagged the compost i found them and just popped them on top of the compost in one of the black bags and forgot about them but i moved the bags yesterday and they have chitted, sprouted and started their upwards growth so i am just going to leave them now and see how they do.
Never trust a skinny chef
www.handmademeat.co.uk

sawfish

I have all mine in now as it worked last year doing it that

I have all mine in now as it worked last year doing it that way.

2 rows red duke of york (first early)
1 row blue salad (main)
1 row pink fir apple (main)
half row fortyfold (main and the best taste)
half row red king edward (main)

Put them in deep about 10-12 inches amongst some manure and all varieties about 12 inches apart.
I also made sure they were in a very straight line between two sticks so I knew where they were when I earthed them up into ridges about 8-10 inches high above the ground so they wont need earthed up at all before I dig em up.

Here's the bottom bit of my plot with wild garlic and broad beans in the distance.
http://tinyurl.com/2hlqx2

Easiest way.

Did you know you can grow a potato plant from a single eye cut out of a tattie. Just cut around the sprout about an inch circumferance and put it into a pot of compost just poking out the earth and a plant will grow which you can then plant out.
~ glasgow dreamer ~

mattachinelee

Thats alot of spuds Sawfish! Very neat rows too. :mrgreen: