Lunar planting

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Lunar planting

Has any one tried lunar planting, does it work??

Jill.. :flower:

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi, I haven't tried it but found something on it here.

http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/MoonPlanting.html

I know that you can recharge crystals by putting them under a full moon, so anything is possible. If the moon can pull tides etc, it maybe worth a try!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

ina

I've not tried it for myself, but I've known people (and worked for some) who swear by it. However, I always think it's more important to look at the overall conditions - if it happens to be bucketing down on the few days that are suitable for planting this particular crop, then it's probably better to wait until the weather is better, even if that means it's not the "right" day any more.

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Dad was an old bushie and some time farmer in southern Queensland. I remember him telling me that their Italian neighbours would plant by the moon, and he just did it normally and he couldn't tell the difference in the results. :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

The French are apparently into this as I get a gardening magazine and it has the lunar planting calendar for each month. Like Ina says, sorry but if it's raining I'm not going out there planting cabbages just cos it say so! Load of old codswallop in my opinion!

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

MMM,
I don't know so much part of me thinks it is but then when I think about it it seems to make sense. Moon, gravitational pull and all that. I think in the UK we get so much rain the top surface, especially around spring planting, is always moist enough not to have to worry about things like that.
Whereas I'm wondering if being dryer in France whether or not it might help, albeit a little.
It's almost worth planting one row of something in conjunction with the lunar what-not and another row not. Give them the same TLC afterwards and see what happens.
I've also got some info on planting by the Zodiac...but lets not even go THERE!!! :roll: :roll:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Teh bloke that runs eco-logic book says that he has planted by the moon (also known as bio-dynamics). He grew one row of onions by the moon and one just normally. THe moon ones grew better.

This book was recomended http://www.eco-logicbooks.com/index.cfm ... iate_id=18

Never tried it myself, keep meaning to but never get round to it. Perhaps next year. I am still undecidd on this topic, I will hjave to try it out myself before I can make any judgement.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Bit like Tom and Barbra doing the seedling experiment. If nothing else it could be an interesting experiment. You could go the whole hog and have a Lunar row, a Zodiac row, singing row, shouting row and so on and so on.

Jill.. :flower:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like it :mrgreen:

Although my 'rows' always go a bit wonky and I end up a mish mash a lot of the time. I'm Not the tidiest of gardeners. :oops:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Millymollymandy

Hee hee - my rows are straight now as I've gone to the trouble of two pegs and string, but I didn't used to.

But you made me laugh because whilst I'm always tidying the house, my potting shed is a right mess and my tools are always dirty - I mean what's the point of cleaning them when they're going to get dirty again - HOWEVER, my husband who has all his DIY stuff all neatly arranged, has been tidying up my potting shed! First of all a broom appeared (hint hint, well the floor could do with a sweep, so I swept it into a corner), then a batten with pegs on and all my trowels and bits and bobs got hung up, then a RUBBISH BIN appeared....... :shock: Aarrrrgggghhh!