Spuds again

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Dug up some more Bintje to make space for some lettuce and they are doing well - must have grown some more or the first few plants I dug up were just duff ones.

We got 5.22kg from 3 plants (11.49lbs). Spuds anyone? :shock: :shock: :shock: Anyway my husband has worked out (if we get about that amount from the remaining plants, AND they store OK) we will have saved about 60€ on spuds alone, although we will be resembling potatoes by the time we have worked our way through them!!!

ina

As long as it's not couch potatoes you resemble... :lol:

Did you know that farmers have started an initiative to ban the expression "couch potato"? They think it gives potatoes a bad name!

Ina

Millymollymandy

Well after eating however many kilos of spuds, I don't think I'll be able to move ever again!

I knew about the couch potato thing because there was a whole discussion thread about it on A Country Life!!!!!

By the way, I am storing my spuds, so far, in paper cat litter sacks!! But here's the dilemma, I'm trying to encourage my lazy fat (couch potato) cat to do his business outside ......... but I need the sacks! Hmmmmmm.....

shiney

Move his tray outside the backdoor then take it away after a week or so. He may just get the idea! (dunno what you are going to do about the sacks for the spuds tho) :?
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

I've got a few paper chicken feed bags, I just have a feeling that I might need more!

As for the woosy pussy, he's taking his time (a year!) getting used to so much land after living in a nice hedged in smaller garden. Or else he's just decided that being a couch cat is much more fun. I am taking the litter tray away during the day now but I reckon he "saves it up" for night time, when I lock them in anyway. I'm too soft with my animals but at least when I hear cat fights during the night, I know mine are safe and sound.

My other cat, a moggy, isn't a problem. Who'd have pedigrees?

shiney

We have a bog standard Moggie ~ she's a cool, low maintenance feline, which is fine by me. My mum bought her for my eldest son, when my second boy was born.

I am not a great cat lover, but Millie isn't so bad. The kids love her so does the OM, so she gets plenty of attention from them, but she always bites my ankles and elbows when she wants feeding.

Pesky animal!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

ina

MMM, I've got piles of strong, doubled-up paper feedbags - but I think it doesn't make much sense (economically and environmentally) to send them to France!I jst can't bring myself to throw them out; they are being used for burnable rubbish. (I'm still trying to get it across to some of my colleagues that it is now not only bad for the environment but also illegal to burn plastic bags!)

What about using old baskets (wire, plastic, wood) or slatted boxes, lined with cardboard or newspaper for your tatties? That's what I've always done so far, as I don't have that many anyway and they would feel a bit lost at the bottom of a bag!

Ina

Millymollymandy

Most of my spuds are still in the ground but it's where to store them that concerns me. Trying to find somewhere that is cool in summer but not freezing in winter is difficult! So that rules out our metal barn - maybe my potting shed wouldn't freeze as it is stone and attached to the house & would be OK - but for the moment it seems like the bathroom cupboard is the best place as it's the coolest room in the house in summer.

So the wire/open baskets idea just might add even more dirt to my house that I could really do without as I've got enough already! :( We'll see, maybe I will have enough sacks. Next year won't be a problem as I'll save all the paper sacks during the year.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day M3,

We get polystyene broccoli boxes from the shops (I think they get thrown out anyway) and I have stored spuds reasonably successfully in dry sand in them. They are good insulation to keep the temperature constant.

Just a suggestion........... :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I tried this winter to store my spuds in a dark bedroom cupboard, but they are sprouting like mad, and I am still a couple of months off planting them yet. They have sprouts up to 30cm long - does anyone know if i can trim them off, or down, or....????

Sorry for hijacking the thread but it is about spuds :king: