Advise needed about a few herbs

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Feygan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Advise needed about a few herbs

Just a couple of queries for folks. I want to grow a few herbs, basil, chives, parsley (leafy), and coriander. I'm up in northern ireland, and don't have a garden persay so containers is the only way to go. With the placement I was ideally hoping to do so indoors.

The thing that I'm curious about is how likely it is I can get away with potting all four types in one long window box? Also what are the best methods of care for these types? Finally I only have one south facing window, will this greatly limit the amount I can grow?

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think you'd be alright with them in one box. However, many herbs are invasive so be careful if you decide to expand your portfolio.

Just use good soil/compost and plenty of water if it's hot.

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

With basil in the mix I´d advise watering in the morning as they don´t like going to bed cold and wet.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Feygan

Thanks for the help folks, also are any of these species particularly invasive? Will I need to put in some dividers or just let them all roam between each other?

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

Basil, parsley & chives will all need cutting right back to stop them becoming woody & to make sure they keep giving you lovely young fresh herbs so use that as your method to control them rather than worrying about dividers.

Feygan

Makes things easy enough. I know most of the ones I mentioned are annuals, and I will be buying small plants rather than seeds. Will this mean I'll only get a short time of herb before they die out? Would I be better off just getting a bunch of perennials for now and getting the annuals next year?

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

If you leave them go to seed you should be ok, but herbs grwo quickly enough from seeds at the best of time.
I'm increasingly of the belief that any shops situated on or near retails parks only serve to make people unhappy.

Millymollymandy

Chives you can get now because they are a perennial herb. Parsley isn't worth planting now as although it is biennial it'll go to seed really early next year, so better to plant next spring with a fresh plant.

Basil is annual (won't survive the winter outside) although if your window box is indoors it should be OK thru' the winter. You can always replace it with new plants next year.

Coriander is an annual that runs to seed very quickly and you need to sow lots of it, so you'd be better with a window box just for the coriander, that you sow some seed at one end, a few weeks later sow some more in the middle, then a few weeks later sow in the other end. By this time the first lot will probably have gone to seed, so you can pull them up and start planting again....... :mrgreen:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

If you are worried about the thugs taking over then put them into individual pots within your window box. I keep mine on my north facing kitchen window sill and they seem to cope fine. I've got mint, coriander and parsley at the moment. The parsley was one I bought from the supermarket about 2 years ago and it's still going. A bit small but that's perfect for me.

Zoe

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've given up trying to grow basil outside, I grow it from seed & keep it indoors on a window-sill, albeit a northish-facing one.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cant imaine why any right minded person would want coriander EXCEPT for the seeds - gah, cant stand the leaves - taste like green vegetable bugs to me. bleagh.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Millymollymandy

All those of us raised on Indian food love coriander! I add it to all sorts of things, make salsa out of it, put it in salads, spanish omelettes, garnish loads of dishes with it like you might do with parsley..... and even eat it whilst in the veg patch just as it is. I just adore the smell on my hands!

But then I'm wierd because the smell and taste of vanilla makes me feel like throwing up. :mrgreen:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I'm a huge corriander lover. seeds, leaves...
even the stalks get chopped up and shoved through my mincer along with a nice bit of lamb neck or shank, some chilli, garlic, minced onion and frech ground cardamom. then the whole minced mix is shaped around skewers, fried off and then oven baked until cooked.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Millymollymandy

And don't forget the roots are used in Thai hot and sour soups!