Helichrysum italicum Plant

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Helichrysum italicum Plant

Just wanted to talk about my little Curry Plant i brought under the somewhat naive assumption that i could use it on a culinary basis ... i tried it tonight ... then after searching on the net wondering if i was doing something wrong ... i discover it is a Curry Tree i possibly should have planted for this purpose :oops:

Please share with me their knowledge & experiences with Curry ... i am leading myself down the garden path on this one :wink:

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think the powdered curry we usually buy is a blend of spices, rather than just one plant. Probably a quick Google would reveal exactly which ones? I do love the scent of the curry plant, but it just doesn't taste like it smells.... :?

hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have a curry Plant and it is invaluable as a medicinal remedy. Parts used are the Flowers. It has anti-bacterial, anti-allergenic, anti-flammatory, antiseptic,astringent,diuretic, expectorant and nervine properties. In Europe it is used for reparatory complaints such as asthma chronic bronchitis and whooping coughs; also for headaches, migraine, liver ailments and skin conditions including burns, allergies, and psoriasis. Richly aromatic, the essential oil Helchrysum, soothes your body and raises your spirits with the subtle scent of honey and flora. When mixed with mixing oil and massaged into sore muscles, it can help soothe aches, pains, sprains, and strains, relaxing the body and easing the tension knotted into the musculature. Helchrysum is like "an eraser" on bruises. When diffused in a diffuser, Helchrysum helps invigorate your mind, eases nervous tension, and uplifts your mood. The phenolic acids offer an effective aid in lowering cholesterol.
But you can use it for flavouring meat dishes as well( though I've not used it for this before ). The parts used are the leaves, though it's not the curry flavouring that you're thinking of.
I'll see if I can find the link for you.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

The curry plant should also not be confused with the curry leaf plant (Chalcas koenigii )which is a trpoical tree and the stuff you put in when your curry recipe calls for curry leaves.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Please don't tell me you have one in your garden, Nev, or I will be soooooooo jealous! I had some in the freezer but had to give them away when I moved house, now can't get them any more. :cry:

Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanx hedgewitch you have made me look at more than just eating;) I am new to all in which i grow & focus just on purposes for eating - I have not even branched into natural remedies. Going off to explore the net now ....

Nev ... do u have a curry tree in Sydney?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry M3,

Yup I have a curry tree,Shelle they are supposed to be tropical but mine survived a Sydney winter 8) . It is only small but still growing! :mrgreen:

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

alright - looks like i am on the look out for a curry tree next - I'll surely grow here then :flower:

Millymollymandy

:violent1: Waaaaah, there's no emoticon for bawling, rolling on the floor throwing a temper tantrum! It's not fair!

On the other hand you can't get snow, - nah-nah na nah-nah - mind you why am I bragging about that? :reindeer:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

sorry mate!