victorian farm

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

victorian farm

I don't know if anyone has caught this on bbc2, what an interesting programe, my mate hasn't got a telly so he watches it on i player, if you have an interest in the old ways you will find it facinating.
all the best
Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: victorian farm

We've been watching it with interest too. The problem is I can remember my aunt using a dolly tub (when her twintub broke) so it makes me feel really old.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Me too, i have also used shire horses when i was younger to pull timber out of the woods its so ecologicly better and sooooo much nicer to work with, a shire is a beautiful animal so strong and serene, if i could turn back the clock that would be my era.
Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Rosendula

I've taped them but haven't got round to watching them yet. I noticed that some of the people in it are the same people who did "Tales from the Green Valley", a 12 part series which I absolutely loved and have on DVD, so I'm quite eager to watch the new series. It's just finding the quiet time...
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

Haven't watched episode 2 yet but what a great series.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

very interesting series... have been watching it so far, although a few of the things they did/ cooked freek me out, like the tongue in episode 2.
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

I havent seen it yet but my son (Jenko) has been watching it and reccomended it, so I will watch it on BBC i player. :flower:

becks77

just going to watch the recorded one if anyone has missed it looks as though it is repeated Sat eve on BBC2
My Dad used to cook tongue every Christmas . I'm veggie now!! LOL :cheers:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Soloby Rob
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

missy wrote:very interesting series... have been watching it so far, although a few of the things they did/ cooked freek me out, like the tongue in episode 2.
I know it looked a bit gruesome but do try it if you get a chance, it’s gorgeous. Hot with mash and thick gravy, cold with homemade pickles or in a sandwich with either mustard or horseradish.
Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been watching it on iplayer - I have only ever seen rolled tongue before, which is more abstract... to see it presented in all it's glory was very gruesome :pale:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

We see the whole thing raw on display in the supermarket :pukeleft: . I used to eat sliced (presumably rolled) tongue from the butchers when I was a kid - quite nice - but I wouldn't sit down to eat a whole cow's tongue if you paid me! :profileright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Rosendula

We used to have sliced (rolled?) tongue as a kid too. I always felt uncomfortable eating it because the name kind of gave away what the product was. Not like beef or pork which I didn't associate with animals until I was in my mid-teens. At that point I decided I wanted to be veggie as I never liked the taste, feel, look or texture of meat anyway (probably my mother's cooking). Knowing it came from an animal was the final straw for me. I stayed veggie (well, pescatarian to be strictly accurate as I sometimes ate flat fish) for 22 years, only recently feeling the urge to try 'new' things. Sorry veggie friends, I'm quite enjoying trying all the different meats, and it was quite nice when we went to a restaurant recently - such a lot to choose from! That said, if you put a big tongue on the table in front of me and said "cook that", I'd very promptly tell you where to go :lol:
Rosey xx

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm enjoying the Victorian Farm too - it comes across as quite educational in its presentation though.

Slightly off topic - My children eat their school dinners at the Cantine Municipale in our village. "Langue de bouef et frites" was on the menu on Friday and they enjoyed it...DD described it as "red beef ham stuff".

I didn't tell them what it actually was. :silent: And you can bet your life that they would NOT have eaten it had they realised it was the same beef tongue we often see raw in the shops!

Perhaps we are getting a bit squeamish and should get offal back on the menu in these leaner times.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh I will happily eat offal - especially as haggis.......hmmmm haggis.....

I think I just struggle with it looking like what it is in it's living form... wouldn't be happy eating anything with a head on it :puke left: chop it up, boil it, serve it as stew :mrgreen: I absolutely think we should use every part of a dead animal, it cost them their life, I think it is respectful to use every part.

As for the show, I am finding it really interesting, but haveing not watched much TV for around 2 years, I am finding it slow and condesending at times..... but wasn't that pig sty gorgeous, I have loads of stone in my garden, I want one, I want one :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Milims

Tongue :pukeleft: :pukeright: My mother used to buy the whole from the butcher and boil and roll them. There is nothing worse than watching someone peel a tongue! And it doesn't even taste that nice!
Iwas rather interested in the games that they played in the last episode - and the comment about how modern life has affected the music making etc in our homes.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!