'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
citizentwiglet
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

grahamhobbs wrote:Well, what was there to dislike about it, it was sweet and anything to get new people growing their own must be good.

It's only the impression that you can feed yourself on a few plants dotted amoungst the roses that concerns me, this veg. growing is only going to be a very occaisional small supplement to buying your veg at the supermarket, it is not going to seriously feed a family. It's this false impression that concerns me. Ok encourage people to start growing, but be realistic. Otherwise what happens people get an allotment and give up in no time because they have unrealistic expectations, wasting the space for people who are serious.
Yes, it was sweet. Once again, though, it was - IMO - clever constructed to 'sell' us a dream. The clever editing, and clips of hazy, halcyon days (that reminded me of the old 1970s sex ed films we were forced to watch in PSD in school) reminded me of Jamie at Home and River Cottage - the underlying messages of which are 'jolly good smashing fun if you have pots of money in the bank to fripper about with; particularly if you have a lot of invisible background chums to help you out, but stay conveniently out of shot for most of it, giving the impression that I have 56 hours in every sun-drenched day to potter in my garden'.

That dream is just that, for most of us. Lovely as Alys' garden undoubtedly was, I doubt my kids would be too impressed if I got rid of all the grass to make way for a brassica patch; and as much as I'd love to grow beans up my washing line poles I doubt they'd last two minutes with my miniature Tarzans trying to climb them.

Yes, it is good to encourage people to start growing their own food but I agree that this programme may be unrealistic. And yes, I have first hand experience of people getting allotments on a 'whim' (because they've watched Jamie or Hugh, usually) who although excited in Spring, were decidely less so once they'd had it a few months and have now let it fall into rack and ruin. But, as long as they pay their subs, the council seem to turn a blind eye, despite most rules and regs expecting at least a minimum of cultivation.

I used to have my name down for an allotment. Once I had 2 kids under 4, and realised that the practicalities of getting two buses to either site with 2 kids AND assorted stuff were virtually zero, I took myself off the list to make way for someone else. That's why I became involved with the community garden - a raised bed which, if used properly CAN feed four, needs far less work and is local enough for us to walk to several times a day. Undoubtedly less beautiful and magical than Alys' little paradise, but a far better compromise for us and, I imagine, most families that this programme was actually targeted at.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Millymollymandy

grahamhobbs wrote:It's only the impression that you can feed yourself on a few plants dotted amoungst the roses that concerns me, this veg. growing is only going to be a very occaisional small supplement to buying your veg at the supermarket, it is not going to seriously feed a family. It's this false impression that concerns me. Ok encourage people to start growing, but be realistic.
That bit concerned me too because she was giving the impression she could feed the two of them for a year on what she could squeeze in amongst her flowers. Did you see the space alloted for spuds? :lol:

My veg patch is probably 4 times the size of her garden and I can't feed us for a year. No mention of the fact you need to buy a couple more freezers or have an enormous larder full of bottled veg/fruit to store it all.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

Nomada wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote: Both my husband and I looked at each other and said simultaneously "WHAT is she wearing? :shock: ". :mrgreen: It did look like a baby doll nightie to us jeans and wellies types. :iconbiggrin:
Was it the veeerrry short one? I wouldn't want to bend down to weed wearing it :shock: There are some clothes that don't belong in the garden!
Yes! :iconbiggrin:

southeast-isher

I agree with all points i think, good and bad. Was nice to see the Harland's garden (the Permaculture Magazine founder's garden) and how it progressed since the 'Permaculture in Practice' documentary had been produced. Missed the first two minutes sparked up my cigar and the show was over!

theabsinthefairy

In terms of what seems to pass for serious programming on TV these days, I don't think that the programme was that bad.

It was light, and full of inconsistencies, and had that horrid 'feature' editing to add interest and depth (yeah right :scratch: ).

Of course it didn't go in depth into feeding yourself from the garden sustainably, because it has to appeal to the masses, and you can't please everyone all of the time. Not everyone wants to watch a serious documentary style programme that is full of intense lecturing style presentation, nor does anyone want to watch 30 minutes of red haired lovelies flitting through the hedgerows in shortie nighties - so you got a bit of both, light and frothy and the occasional bit of useful infor thrown in.

For the part-time gardeners who grow a few salad leaves and herbs it was probably inspirational, for those who try to maintain large allotment style gardens - well - her wardrobe was more interesting than the factual content of the show.

I did find something to copy from the show - and so will watch it again for more items of interest, (and not just the wardrobe). :oops:

http://theabsinthefairy.blogspot.com/20 ... arden.html
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

bonniethomas06

red haired lovelies flitting through the hedgerows in shortie nighties
HA! :lol:

That made me laugh. Spat my coffee out all over my keyboard again!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

I'm really sad because I cut back my red stemmed dogwood about 10 days ago and have loads of lovely straight red pliable stems that I really wanted to try to make some interesting plant supports with them, but with the rush on in the garden before going on holiday in a week (and spring clean the house and cook for housesitters arriving the day before) I just don't have the time. :(

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

That would be lovely! Can you not store them and then soak them for a day or so when you want to work them? Isn't that what they do with willow? (I've dredged that up from somewhere in the murky depths of my memory so I don't know how accurate it is)

Millymollymandy

I don't know but I won't chuck them so I will see if they are still usable when I come back. Thanks for tip on soaking - can't harm to try!

theabsinthefairy

MMM - leave the stalks sat in some water (like cut flowers) until you can get round to using them, then soak them in water (in a bath or a water butt) and they will be ready to bend again.

absinthe fairy blog

absinthefairy

mojaziemia

Millymollymandy

Cheers Monika, I'll put them in a bucket and leave them in the barn and see what happens. Trouble is when I come back I will be really busy in the garden again........ :lol:

LemonBalm
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It was pretty, and cute, had some points of interest, and I will watch again. But I get the feeling that the idea is, if you want more and want detail, buy the book (inevitably there is/will be a book). I suppose the BBC get the best of both worlds by making a light prog that will have broad appeal and also selling attached book.
Theabsinthefairy wrote:

“Felt sorry for the tiny area her chickens were housed in though.”
Didn't Alys say that the chickens make a complete loop - you get the eggs, put their manure on the compost heap, and give them stuff from the kitchen? But she didn't say what stuff from the kitchen, or did I miss that?
Citizentwiglet wrote:

“I kind of begrudgingly liked it, although I did get slightly miffed by her idea of a 'small' town garden being 20 ft x 60 ft; when mine is about 10 x 10!”
Yes, when will telly gardeners get into the real world for most people.
Citizentwiglet wrote:

“…the underlying messages of which are 'jolly good smashing fun if you have pots of money in the bank to fripper about with; particularly if you have a lot of invisible background chums to help you out, but stay conveniently out of shot for most of it, giving the impression that I have 56 hours in every sun-drenched day to potter in my garden'.”
It would be very interesting to see telly gardeners bend their knowledge and ingenuity to a situation where a person has no money to spare for gardening paraphenalia, doesn't have knowledgeable chums, etc - the thousands on low incomes, for example, or perhaps they don't need "grow your own", £1 ready-meals from Iceland are good enough for them.
2010 International Year of Biodiversity
Biodiversity is life Biodiversity is our life

http://www.cbd.int/2010/welcome/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:that bit concerned me too because she was giving the impression she could feed the two of them for a year on what she could squeeze in amongst her flowers. Did you see the space alloted for spuds? :lol:
I planted the rest of my potatoes today and remembered this post.
There will hopefully be enough spuds to last the two of us the whole year, which consists of 3 rows of first earlies, 1 row second early/salad, 2 rows of early maincrop and 6 rows of maincrop.
I measured the patch and it is exactly 25 feet by 20 feet.

Below that are two twenty foot rows of maincrop peas, which is just about enough for a winter freezer supply ... they take up another eight feet and that completely fills my top veg garden of 33' x 20'

Unfortunately there is no room to squeeze any flowers amongst my vegetables :mrgreen:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

citizentwiglet

I'm having enough trouble fitting either flowers or vegetables around the children.......what exactly IS so interesting about a half-full bag of compost to a 17 month old? (Let's just say it wasn't half full for long.....).

I think it is pretty evident that the lovely Alys does not have children. There are no plastic monstrosities in her garden. With time, I think I could fashion a trendy slide, sandbox and see-saw out of willow, but for the time being, the second hand plastic Little Tykes beasts plonked in the middle of the lawn will just have to do.....

*hushed whisper*....yes....I said 'lawn'. And it's made of real grass, too. No creeping thyme or camomile with my two marauding around the place.......

But at least I have trained the nearly-four-year old to derive great pleasure and personal satisfaction from weeding the garden, as opposed to 'weeing in the garden'.......
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

theabsinthefairy

citizentwiglet wrote:
But at least I have trained the nearly-four-year old to derive great pleasure and personal satisfaction from weeding the garden, as opposed to 'weeing in the garden'.......

LOL - I wish I could train my father in law in the same way - he does insist on weeing in the compost bin (I know it is good for it - but quite unnecessary) - he ESPECIALLY likes to stand there waving at the neighbour going past in his tractor while he has his morning constitutional!

No wonder the French think the English are quite quite mad.

absinthe fairy blog

absinthefairy

mojaziemia