'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Hee hee I still have a pair like that somewhere - National Health finest, which were soooooooo naff and geeky at the time but they look quite cool these days! :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Yes they were using loo roll tubes on GW last week!

I've never used one in my life and have no need to as I've got hundreds and hundreds of plant pots in all sizes - every time I buy a plant - guess what? It comes in a POT!!! It doesn't make me a snob/coffee table magazine gardener. :scratch: I also know the Latin for a lot of plants - again comes in handy overseas but is rather annoying in France that a lot of the mail order companies don't use the Latin, just the common name. :banghead:
OK, OK, it seems like I'm the odd one out here.
But in my defence I was trying to point out that GW is aimed fair and square at novice/wanabee gardeners and how on earth can they relate to growing tomatoes in a £20,000 double glazed, paved greehouse, and who probably don't own a single flower pot but almost certainly have access to loo roll tubes and empty yoghurt cartons.
Fair enough about Latin names and foreigners, but this is a BBC program aimed at novice/wanabee licence paying British gardeners, and up until this year Carol Klein used unpronounceable multi-syllable Latin names exclusively, when a well known common name would have been far more appropriate.
But as I seem to be in a minority of one and have made my point I will shut up. :tongue: :silent: :silent:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

southeast-isher

I agree with SusieGee, i think if we want the world to start changing things and heading in the right direction it is important to promote these sorts of principles to every walk of life be it someone with not much money to someone well off... basically everyone, no matter what their background no matter what their class. If there is such a thing as the class system still...

Millymollymandy

I've always felt that GW was aimed at the gardener who already knows a fair bit. I for one want to hear the Latin names because I need to know the variety. Can't stand things just labelled for example, 'sedum', I want to know which one it is - there are loads of them and the same for most flowering plants and shrubs!

They need big greenhouses because they are raising tons of plants to fill their vast spaces and they need a huge variety of plants to keep us the viewer interested.

I'm not interested in any how to or novice gardening programmes because I already know how to garden - I want info for the intermediate/advanced gardener. On the other hand, I stopped getting GW magazine years ago because that was aimed at the newbie and there was nothing in it for me to learn. My French magazine is brilliant because I learn new things from it every month.

grahamhobbs

MMM, I'm agreeing with you (what's up!), there is too much dumbing down on telly, lets have some serious programmes. Gardners World is not exactly highbrow, far from it, it is trying to interest a broad spectrum of gardeners and I often get annoyed that it just flits over subjects most of the time. I wish they'd spent a good 5 or 10 minutes on a particular item but it now seems TV producers think that punters can only take 30secs on any one subject otherwise they'll change channels!. I'm only thankful that GW hasn't managed to get some silly hyped up competition into it, like Mastercrafts.

bonniethomas06

Shame they have gone down to 30 mins again though...not long enough IMO
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Big Al

MKG wrote:Aw now come on - Alys is no babe! But I do like her - she's a very intelligent young lady who knows her stuff, and I'd listen to her any day, all day. And yes, that bit of hair always floating across her face sort of makes her look attractive in a rustic kind of way. And her somewhat shy but assertive approach is very comforting.

Bit of a babe, really.

Oh - hang on ...

Mike
She's into retro clothing as well and just to lower the tone I bet many men wouldn't kick her out of bed......... :grouphug:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

southeast-isher

It's on very soon. I saw the book for the show on sale already.

bonniethomas06

Oh dear...I saw an excerpt for this on GW over the weekend - it was all shaky, wobbly close ups of her floppy hair and mock-retro sepia camcorder stuff.

I will try and keep an open mind, but WHY OH WHY do producers do this? Particularly on a programme where you are trying to learn technique and how to do things for yourself - you need to be able to SEE what is going on! GRRRR :banghead:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

I think Relocation Relocation is on at the same time and I'd much rather watch the 'posh' Kirstie than the 'posh' Alyce (or however she spells her name). :iconbiggrin:

Millymollymandy

Oh but it's fun. :iconbiggrin: Actually I will record this proggy tonight so that I can watch it and see what I think if only to join in the love it/hate it debate here!

southeast-isher

We love Alys! :grouphug:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

loved the programme, especially the fact that she said "selfsufficient...ish" lol!

i love the idea of permaculture, it's kind of what i'm trying in my own garden. it's stunning how much she got in small borders; and i also love her warderobe lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

mrsflibble wrote:loved the programme, especially the fact that she said "selfsufficient...ish" lol!

i love the idea of permaculture, it's kind of what i'm trying in my own garden. it's stunning how much she got in small borders; and i also love her warderobe lol!
I know, that made me laugh a bit, bloke looked at me like I was mad. That's what I'd love my allotment to look like, overflowing with plants. I like mixing different things together. She looks like she's stepped out of the sixties or seventies, but in a good way! :lol:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

theabsinthefairy

I too have wardrobe envy - and that whole fey thing in the garden - oh how I wish - I just get all red faced and dirty from smearing my dirt encrusted hands across my forehead.

But enough of that - thought I would hate the show and her, but it was OK actually, couple of recipe ideas thrown in that were nice and quick and easy. Felt sorry for the tiny area her chickens were housed in though. Will watch it again next week if I remember.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia