BBC2 Live The Good Life

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Muddywheeler
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

BBC2 Live The Good Life

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 am

BBC2 on Monday 8th November 9pm are to put two people through the good life, it might interest some people, but already reading the article in the Radio Times I foresee facts that aren’t correct, pity the beeb can’t get real good lifers to help with the directions or would that not make (supposedly) good telly, anyway have a watch folks and then post your comments.....

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: BBC2 Live The Good Life

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:44 am

Muddywheeler wrote:BBC2 on Monday 8th November 9pm are to put two people through the good life, it might interest some people, but already reading the article in the Radio Times I foresee facts that aren’t correct, pity the beeb can’t get real good lifers to help with the directions

Not that I'll watch it - no telly! - but I just had a look out of interest, and it seems their aim is to show how it would have worked without all the easily available information via internet that we now all have access to.... So they would have had to find "real good lifers" who have not been touched by any of the technological advance we've had over the past 35 years to achieve their aim. Which, I dare say, is pretty much impossible.

Whether that aim is one they should be wasting money on is another question.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm

It's turned out to be an excuse to have a bit of a jolly really, and to surround themselves with plenty of vintage (damn that's practical why can't I have it?) Stuff.

Don't get me wrong I really like Giles Coran and Sue Perkins, their series on eating trends was fascinating and extremely funny, I just don't think that they are going to teach us anything that we don't already know...meant in the politest ways.

Good for a laugh but not much else I think.

IMHO of course :lol:

Lorna x

oldjerry

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Well to be quite honest,I found it curiously distasteful.All the experts,animal handlers et al were stereotypically yokelish,except for the bread woman who obviously loves being on the telly.Nice as both the two presenters seem,Ifound the 'Oh!! do you really milk a goat like this' etc.etc.etc.really patronising,and if the tables were reversed and I was to make a programme about people who eat sushi,travel everywhere by black cab (on ex's)and spend more on a meal in the 'Ivy' than an ordinary family on the weekly food bill,they might not be so tediously chirpy.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:20 am

if the tables were reversed and I was to make a programme about people who eat sushi,travel everywhere by black cab (on ex's)and spend more on a meal in the 'Ivy' than an ordinary family on the weekly food bill,they might not be so tediously chirpy.

:lol: :lol: too true oj! :lol: :lol:

Lorna x

edited to say why is it saying I've quoted you Susie, when it was OldJerry that said it????? confused?

Edited: Dunno Lorna :lol: removed it tho!

Big Al

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:35 am

The first 10 minutes had mrs BA throwing anything she could get her hands on at the telly and hurling even more abuse at it. Bearing in mind the telly is her soul mate it shows how this programme was so abismal.

What some tv company needs to do is conytact a real person such as someone on here or even better still me and do a REAL programme about real people trying to be more self suff etc. The thing is they won't as to do it properly will cost a lot more money and more importantly time. The upshot of it is that we are seen as the "new" greeny type idiots that green people were seen as in the 70's all sandals and lentils and of course pathetic pieces of sh**** that we see on the tv like this programme.
[size=150]Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am

OH bought me the book for my birthday so I decided to read each section on the day of the programme. Well! The book seems to be just a transcript of the show, with a few recipes chucked in for good measure.

And frankly I found the programme quite boring, although I can see that if I were still living my old 9-5 life I might have found it more appealing. Shame really, I liked Sue and Giles previous series - although the way he eats still makes me feel slightly nauseous! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 pm

It's not a series is it? :shock: I thought it was a one off - but as per usual I fell asleep before the end, so don't know. Anyway half an hour was enough for me, bit of comedy, not very funny, next! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)

http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Helsbells

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:45 pm

I thought it was funny! I actually quite enjoyed it. I was particularly envious of the fabulous 1970's house *drool* and Sue Perkins in a Barbara Good wig was most amusing. Quite right that we will not learn anything new but I felt it made a pleasant distraction. Also they filmed in summer so it was nice to remember that we are not stuck in this dreary old winter for ever!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm

I think it a 3-parter MMM
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Ah thanks - have just watched the rest of it. I suppose I'll watch it all no doubt. :iconbiggrin:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:33 am

Argh! This sounds really good. I like Giles Coren and Sue Perkins.

No-one's uploaded or torrented it yet! I wish they'd hurry up!

Muddywheeler
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:18 pm

I agree with OJ and Big AL, Well I did watch a little and as a good lifer of 25yrs plus I found it quite......well idiotic. If we had carried on like those pair we would have been a failure in a very short time, I only hope anyonewho watched it with view to self-sufficiency will not take their “ advice” as gospel. I watched in dismay as a goat keeper when the pair attempted goat husbandry. Is it me? when doing practical programs, why can’t TV producers do things right?

Millymollymandy

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:36 am

I don't think it was meant to be practical, it was a piss take just like the Daily Mail article. Not really much different. I struggled to get through most of the 3 episodes and wouldn't have bothered watching any more. Obviously you don't let your pigs loose in your tiny garden to try to train them whilst they root through your veg. It was so stupid it was obviously done on purpose for the TV ratings. Yet the pigs never rooted up their tiny little run. Interesting or what? I expect those pigs went 'home' at night just like the 2 presenters. :lol:

oldjerry

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:49 am

Dead right M3 !! And who filled in all the movement forms???? Ah , I know, they did a special 'travel to a show' type form,or maybe that was one of the special suburban semis with a DEFRA Holding number!

Return to “Bring back the Goodlife - and other Television and Radio related things”