Being "Enlightend" is tough....

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Islaskye
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Being "Enlightend" is tough....

Has any one been watching Enlightend on sky tv?
In so many ways I can relate to Amy, the lead character and the way she is constantly battling to live her new found lifestyle in such a modern and consumerist world. she's constantly looking for ways to make a difference with everyone, including her own family, dismissing her as cuckoo!!
It really makes me laugh,
does anyone else sometimes feel like theyre battling against everyone else trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle? :shaking:
My family (and in some ways even my partner) all think Im a tree hugging hippie and sometimes it gets me down that no matter how I explain it they just dont get "it".

What have you done or said to help people understand your lifestyle choice? :flower:

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Re: Being "Enlightend" is tough....

I haven't seen the programme, but will look out for it, sounds good.

My family don't understand the way I live, nor my family in law but they are more vocal about their dislike!

I struggle as I am surrounded by people who think if you are doing it different to them then it's wrong. I have battled for years but I am reaching a point where I can live as I want - within reason of other people! - and I'm not worried about other peoples judgement as much.

I know it's hard but if it works for you then have confidence then you have every right to make your own decisions in life.

This may not be the option but I moved 3 hours away from both sets of parents and found friends who I have more in common with!

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sounds like a good show,I don't have Sky so won't be able to watch it!For what its worth hon,I am 50 now and have on the odd occasion come across people who turn up their nose at my lifestyle choice.Thats really their problem.Most of the comments I've had have been positive.People ask me what my secret is for being happy?My reply is usually something like "Keeping my life as simple as possible"Sometimes I feel people view me as abit of a novelty(lol)because I am different to the "norm",and thats ok too.Keep your head held high and don't let people worry you.They might even learn something from you!

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've come to realise ... it's them others who have a problem with my way of life, just as I have issues with theirs!

my true friends are beginning to get it, they ask "how are the animals?" not "what did you get/buy/eat & drink at Christmas?"
they know which buttons to press ("my daughter/neighbour/windowcleaner wants a Micro pig... what do you think?!") and ask my advice about gardening or the said daughter's/neighbour's/windowcleaner's chickens, dog or rabbit.

The ones who don't get it are falling by the way-side, let them eat their intensively reared pork & unblemished apples from across the globe ... if I leave them alone, surely they can do the same for me?!

:flower:

oldjerry

A few years ago I'd have said 'S-d them,Who cares what they think?'..today I'm not so sure.Two years ago Igrew or bartered 95% of our meat,and 70 or 80% of the fruit and veg(and our own milk),now Illness and decrepidness means we have to buy everything.

Faced with the same paucity of resources and spirit that the overwhelming majority of people have to put up with (boosted by constant demands to consume), I'm not surprised that a lot of people find ish-ness a bit strange.

In fact I find that 'though many people may not have the opportunity,ability or time to grow,cook etc. many realise they are dependant on the system for just about everything,and mostly they hate it.This gives me more hope that my 6yr old son will bring his son up in a half decent world,than a few priveleged people(inspired by a mid 70's coffee-table book written by an old fraud who spent a lot of time jetting to conferences) who are fortunate enough to live a 'self-sufficient' lifestyle.

If this is over the top I apologise in advance (GA,just delete!),but I've been pretty smug in the past,it's dead easy and a delusion.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've not seen it as I don't have sky TV or even mains electricity, just a 2 inch battery tv that I hardly ever turn on.
I do find life tough, and also lonely. Particularly as I (my way of life, my thoughts and feeling about the world etc) seem to be alien - not only to the mass consumerist population, but also to most people on these type of websites who profess to be greener and more down-to-earth.
I really do feel like I come from another planet - or maybe just from a different time, about 500 years ago. :(
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

magicguitarman
latitude: 55.8528
longitude: -4.2671

I can totally understand where these feelings come from. However I find that my feelings along these lines only hit when I'm stuck right in the middle of "civilisation". When I'm on my own, or with someone who doesn't think I'm "weird" i.e. my mother, I feel just fine. I don't think I'll feel lonely when I finally manage to escape and disconnect myself to a level I am happy with.

Sod other people! As the old bloke I used to work with said on a daily basis: "Don't ever let the B*****s grind you down!"
I view the world vicariously through comedy. Don't take me seriously.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm - yes, it's hard. But only if you give a toss what other people think.

I used to think that, and I used to have all the "discussions" you already know about, and it used to upset me and, sometimes, enrage me. Now I don't give a stuff. The reason is not that I'm virtuous or green or ish or saving the world. It's simply that it's right for me.

Sometimes I give them knowing smiles, just as they used to do to me. Sometimes I tell them that they'll know better when they grow up. Sometimes I don't say anything at all. It doesn't matter to me any more. I'm happy with me, OH seems to be too, the birds and frogs and the poodle seem happy about it all. I don't think I'm saving the world - but I'm certainly saving my self-esteem and sanity.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I understand too. Questioned today by a college about our moving to France plans. It was all business plans and profit margins. I tried to explain that that wasn't the reason we were going and the idea was to move away from that target driven materialistic world and earn something more than just money. He looked at me blankly then quetioned whether or not it was the right thing to do to my son?!?!? I thought that growing up knowing about your food, the environment, meeting lots of new interesting people all the time, finding ways to entertain himself with somethingother than a games machine and being bilingual would be the right thing. He shook his head and walked off! People just don't seem to get it. There is another way to live your life but some people don't get it. Best thing to do is take MKGs advice and don't give a toss what people think!

becks77

Islaskye wrote:What have you done or said to help people understand your lifestyle choice? :flower:
I dont help people understand, mostly they dont want to, I try to do my own thing as it were and keep out of everyones way....seems to work , mostly.
ps sorry feeling abit grumpy today
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

not seen the programme (no sky) but read a really interesting blog t'other day http://naturalmomstalkradio.com/blog/assume/ - it made me think about my own attitudes! - where the blogger has a quality rant about similar issues re perceptions of her lifestyle - i really like her solution as the daft questions/ raised eyebrows about 'different' lifestyles really just reflect people's own insecurities/ issues and judgemental habits...

oldjerry

why should anyone want to 'understand' your lifestyle? It's a personal choice,as Mike says if it feels right for you then top stuff.I'm probably wrong,but there seems to be an underlying assumption that living sustainably,low carbon footprint etc will save the planet,so everyones got to live that way NOW and somehow we are 'better' than people who dont.This is just middle-class snobbery reborn.
Living sustainably might make you feel better about yourself(it does for me) but it aint gonna change anything.For that you need a fundamental restructuring of society on a national( and probably global )basis.There are ,thankfully, young people that realise this (eg' occupy the city'',reclaim the streets' movements etc) more power to them.

LittleRat
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sorry, I've not seen the programme! Life is a big circle, so if people don't get what you are doing now then you are generally ahead of the curve! If its feels right inside then its right for you. We all have our own 'rights' :)

GrowingVeg
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

clanpowell wrote:I understand too. Questioned today by a college about our moving to France plans. It was all business plans and profit margins. I tried to explain that that wasn't the reason we were going and the idea was to move away from that target driven materialistic world and earn something more than just money. He looked at me blankly then quetioned whether or not it was the right thing to do to my son?!?!? I thought that growing up knowing about your food, the environment, meeting lots of new interesting people all the time, finding ways to entertain himself with somethingother than a games machine and being bilingual would be the right thing. He shook his head and walked off! People just don't seem to get it. There is another way to live your life but some people don't get it. Best thing to do is take MKGs advice and don't give a toss what people think!
You should be applauded for having the courage to do something for "you" that will have such a positive and deeply meaningful impact on your son. I wish you good luck and the best of health and happiness.

Bonne chance ! :sunny:

Susie

oldjerry wrote:Living sustainably might make you feel better about yourself(it does for me) but it aint gonna change anything.For that you need a fundamental restructuring of society on a national( and probably global )basis.There are ,thankfully, young people that realise this (eg' occupy the city'',reclaim the streets' movements etc) more power to them.
You see, I always agree with what you say but I'm not entirely with you on this one. I do think changing your own way of life is essential for wider change, although I have no idea how you get from one to the other. But yes I do think il faut cultiver son propre jardin first literally and metaphorically although I'm not sure I can defend that intellectually.

No-one ever criticises me, I have to say. I suspect I'm not ish enough. I'm still passing as normal...(secret evil laugh).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)