The long and short of it

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Juddy in the Charente
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

The long and short of it

Get ready for the Really Stupid question of the year!

In short, our cockerel pegged out when trying to get through the fence at me whilst I was trying to administer first aid to his fav chick. (He's in the freezer now!)

One of our very kind French neighbours took pity and promptly delivered up a 3 month old bantam cock. (Wouldn't take any money but accepted an armful of very surplus courgettes)

Here's the question. Bearing in mind our hens are huge meat birds and the bantam is only small, are there any prospects of him doing the business?

Have been offered another full size cockerel but now we have the little chap will they fight if put together?

Any suggestions would be welcomed
Surely it is better to have grown it and eaten it than never to have grown it all?

Baymair
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: The long and short of it

I've got 2 bantam cockerels and lots of huge hens - it took them a few goes to figure it out (the girls just shrugged them off and carried on eating :lol: ) but where there's a will there's a way and even the Barnevelders are laying fertile eggs.

So, the chances of him doing the business are very high :king:

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

My next door neighbour (who knows about these things) reckons it's very possible and you will get great chicks - apparently there's a name for crosses between bantam cockerels and full sized hens but I've forgotten it now (sorry).

Zoe

Thurston Garden

Perhaps you might have to provide some sort of step ladder to assist him? :mrgreen:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

Or perhaps Red Bull? It gives you wiiiings! :wink:
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!