NEW DOG HELP!!!!!

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
pizzamomma
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

NEW DOG HELP!!!!!

I have a 2 year old cocker spaniel (Archie) and at the weekend I gained a 10 month old jack russell. I gave her a home because the people she belonged to at 2 boys under 3 and the dog and they couldnt manage. Unfortunately my heart ruled my head. My cocker spaniel just growls at her all the time. I keep them separated at the moment. Wot I want to know is has anyone else had this experience , if so will it get better or should I give up now. I do have an alternative home for her with a lovely couple with 2 children, but I dont want to give up too easily. Suggestions please,.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: NEW DOG HELP!!!!!

Sounds like jealousy. Best giving the spaniel loads of attention, a bit of time, and seeing if the rat will fall in with the existing order of things. If not, you're gonna have to find another home for it. AFAIK, spaniels are a bit on the jealous side so it's probably not rare.

Sorry to sound a bit blunt.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

When we introduced our Collie to our Springer spaniel (then 7) She appeared not to be bothered by her until she seemed to twig it was a dog and then grabbed the 12 week old pup by the throat and shook her. :shock: V. scary I can tell you! This happened twice and in desparation I rang up the all knowing being that is my Dad (who's never been without a dog). It's all to do with the pecking order apparently. Poor old OH had to grab the Springer and basically give her the telling off of her life (she even wet herself she submitted that much), and after that the order was sorted. The Spaniel was the boss as far as the dogs went. But OH was the leader of the pack (vroom vroom!) Sorry about that been a long day!

So I think that the attention thing is a very important point, make sure that you greet the older dog first. Offer them a treat first, so that the pecking order is reafirmed every time. Our experiences were more than 7 years ago now, and as the old girl is getting a but doddery, the Collie who has always come second fiddle is starting to pick on the old girl, and we have had to start telling her off and putting her in her place - it's strange how these things come in cycles isn't it.

I have no idea if this is of any use to you but perhaps you can google introducing new dogs and behavioural issues, as this must be a common thread for alot of people.

Lorna x

moocher
Tom Good
Tom Good

hi ,they have still not got used to each other yet ,give them while longer and watch at feeding times,as 2 of my dogs will fight each other, if one thinks the others going to steal its food.

baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

growingthings your dad was right on the money!

My dog, a lab cross, wasn't bothered when we introduced a JRT but the JRT went for her, and she WILL defend herself. I basically grabbed the JRT shook with a firm NO and gave the other dog the look off disappointment (does it for her). All aggression stopped and they both followed me, their pack leader. I had established I was in charge and that my original dog was still in her place and the new dog was bottom and that's where he would stay.

I had no problem with the second dog I have now as she was already subservient, and only 6 months, and her fear quickly told my original dog she was no threat. They are now very firm friends, but the little dog is put in her place if she over steps the mark, and that can be noisy and sound aggressive but it is all over within seconds and I as pack leader is usually the one who shouts NO and they suck up to me!

It doesn't always work and the JRT may just not be suitable to be homed with another dog, or visa versa.

Instead of feeding at the same time try feeding the spaniel first then the JRT to establish the pack order. Do everything first with the spaniel then the JRT. That is the way it would happen in the wild, leaders first then in turn down the line and the bottom one may get something.