A chicken question.

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
xone
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

A chicken question.

I got 10 ex batteries a month ago and have been feeding them on a combination of grit and mash also thrown in some barley aswell. The problem is that since getting the hens their yokes have become pale and the yoke membrane has become weak. Can ayone give me a tip to sort this out. Thanks in advance.

Alec
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: A chicken question.

I think this was caused by a sudden change of diet. If you had been able to discover exactly what they were being fed on - even if it was non-organic and you didn't agree with it - it would have been better to continue with that for a while, and make any changes gradually.

As for the paler yolks, that probably indicates that the battery feed included an artificial colourant. Not good. Accept the paler yolks for now and gradually increase the amount of greenstuff in their diet, this will eventually give you genuine rich yolks!

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

yes, pale yolks indicate not enough greens. do they have access to grass? chickens eat a lot of grass given a chance.

Personally, I would feed them on layers pellets
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MrDirtyBoots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I recently wrote a post on our site about getting super orange egg yolks.

Basically it's all about the veggies and the grass.

Throw in grass clippings and cabbage leaves regularly or let them have access to fresh grass and you will be wearing shades when you break those eggs open!
Living a Self Sufficient Life isn't always easy.

Come and visit A Self Sufficient Life for tips on all aspects of becoming more self sufficient.

From Compost Loos to Eco Balls we use them all!

Millymollymandy

They need crushed oyster shell for the eggs - specially the shell. Grit isn't a necessity unless you keep them indoors - they'll ingest enough grit outside when pecking in the soil for their crops to break down their food, although offering it to them won't harm. Mine don't bother with the grit but when they are laying they go through inordinate amounts of oyster shell.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

But I thought Chickens were woodland animals?.... where would they be getting crushed oyster shell in their natural environment :? or is it a supplement for something else?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

Dunno Annpan but they probably ate their own (or others) eggshells. Is oyster shell a source of calcium too? Plus in the wild I imagine they wouldn't have been laying as many eggs as they are bred to do these days.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Ellendra

They also would have eaten snails in the wild. Snail shells are good calcium. Possibly bones as well, jungle fowl (the most primitive breed of chicken, as far as I know) have been known to eat small birds and rodents whole.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks guys :cheers:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was told by the old farmer i got my girls from "not to bother with the oyster shell nonsence, dry out there egg shells and crush them" I have been told this before from other farm folk, you just have to do a good job crushing, so the chuks dont reconise what it is, because they will smash and eat there own eggs so i am told.

Eve

Ellendra

My mom says that her mom used to bake the egg shells until light brown (they were white eggs to start with). That changed the smell and taste enough to keep them from recognizing them as chicken eggs.

MrDirtyBoots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I would forget about buying oyster shells etc.

You want to save money where you can. The Chickens supply you with the eggshells and that is all we ever use.

Baked and crushed, they do the job, and for free. We have never had a problem doing this and , as always, free is best.
Living a Self Sufficient Life isn't always easy.

Come and visit A Self Sufficient Life for tips on all aspects of becoming more self sufficient.

From Compost Loos to Eco Balls we use them all!

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ellendra wrote:They also would have eaten snails in the wild. Snail shells are good calcium. Possibly bones as well, jungle fowl (the most primitive breed of chicken, as far as I know) have been known to eat small birds and rodents whole.
Not just jungle fowl. My parents had a cockerel who used to be able to hare across the run, go up the side of the coop and catch sparrows in flight. And my ex-batts often mug my cats for the mice they catch. All chickens are omnivores. Just don't feed them chicken!

Lynne

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

sorry have found this thread a bit late but i feed my girls on a layers mash(cause thats what they were eat at previous home) some corn and regular supply of greens ( usually cabbage which they love) result bright orange yolks . i do put a grit and oster shell mix in but they dont seem intrereasted so might just keep it in case shells get a bit soft. i also think that the layers mash has shell and grit included so is a complete feed just read they ingredients on the bag.in all i think my girls cost about £10 a month plus the greens which i'm more than covering with egg sales so :cheers: :cheers:
am also thinking about get more chooks to take me up to 15 -20 birds just not sure on space requirements any ideas
try hard mean well and never give up