Fish Farming

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Fish Farming

Has anyone tried there hand at small scale fish farming.

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Fish Farming

Fresh water or sea?

I've quite a bit of experience with salmon and the main problem is that all the bodies concerned and there are lots of them here in Scotland but I'm sure it's the same with you don't differentiate between a couple of dozen fish and a million so you still need to go through all the hoops presented you by SEPA, RPB, local councils and the Crown Estate commissioners and the SEPA application alone will cost thousands for a bottom survey, tidal stream surveys, environmental impact assessment etc. Which is a shame because for anyone living by the sea a small 5m x 5m cage could easily be managed by one person and with just a couple of dozen fish in would be free from lice and disease. As far as fresh water goes they'd still need to be in some kind of cage so you could catch them :lol: you'd need a good exchange of water but would still have to fill in lots of forms and part with loads of dosh :?

Good Luck, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Paul

That all seems a bit over the top. I only wanted a fish pond with a few fish in it

Oh well, back to the chopping board

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Hairyloon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

mamos wrote:That all seems a bit over the top. I only wanted a fish pond with a few fish in it.
I've not tried it, but I believe it is not difficult. Didn't HFW do a bit about it on his fish series?

There was a brilliant one which combined a watercress farm with trout. The water flows through the cress & picks up lots of little critturs that live in the roots.
The trout eat the critturs and pee in the water, which goes back to the cress as fertiliser.

The other, I think was carp. You basically chuck manure in the pond on a regular basis, and take out fish on a regular basis.

sam_uk
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have not done it but I hear its comparatively easy to keep Carp.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/335354 ... -pond.html
A peak oil news agregator http://peakoil.blogetery.com