Cats and Chickens

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Cats and Chickens

Our ex bats arrived on Saturday. Their coop is 6 foot high and the wire is dug in, but our neighbours cat has already found a way in and out. They also have a shed that is 6X6' and secure. I presume she is climbing the shed and jumping to the garage roof to escape. She is a very friendly smallish black who regularly catches small birds and mice. As they are ex bats they seem quite freaked out by cats and I am not sure what to do. I don't know if they would stick up for themselves, or try to run away and get cornered. I also want them to be as settled as possible till they recover from the battery farm experience.

Should I only let the hens out of the shed while I am home just in case she tries to kill one, or hope things will be ok and they will get used to each other? Has a cat ever taken a chicken?

Anne A
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Cats and Chickens

I had the same problem with neigbours cats and our ex bats, I bought some cheap garden netting and wove it onto the top of the pen fence with garden twine, it 's been in place for six months now, it keeps the cats and wild birds out, but my hens are still shut into the secure run when we are out, cos its deffo not fox proof

Moonchild
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've got cats and chickens, at first my cats were curious, the chickens flapped their wings a bit and that was that. The cats sometimes curl up on top of the chicken house and neither creature bothers the other.

Once your chickens have relaxed a bit they'll be fine.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

My chickens chase my cats when they can. Funny to see (maybe not for the cats) chickens with beaks full of fur :lol:

Zoe

JulieSherris

Sadly, we've not got a cat any more - but it's hilarious to see a hen & a 5 stone Basset hound facing each other out... then watch with a smile as the Basset backs away........ :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink: