You have to feel for the chicken that laid this...

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

You have to feel for the chicken that laid this...

The egg on the left is 3in long and has a diameter of 2in. I've been keeping an eye on the ISA Brown that laid it as I had thought she was egg bound - but I heard her cackling like mad about 15 minutes ago and found her sitting on this monster egg. (She seems fine, if a little worn out!)

The middle egg is slightly larger than average for our ISA Browns, while the creamy egg on the right is a typical Scots Grey egg.

I just had to dash back inside and post this.

Stonehead

shiney

Wowwee that would make any chicken's eye water a bit! What a monster egg it is too.

Thanks for showing us!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Boots

:shock: Far out man. I just got out my ruler and looked at 8cm! Even my ducks don't pump out eggs like that... The shell looks pretty strong too. What you feeding those girls? Is it mouse season or something?

ina

Sure there wasn't a gander involved?? :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Shirley

geez... thinking that I'm glad I'm not a chicken!! Let us know how many yolks there are.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

Definitely 100% chicken and the shell is perfect. I suspect a double yolker too, but we shall see...

I also have to say I do like the ISA Browns. They may be commercial hybrids (saved from going to a big operation), but they have attitude and character by the bucketload.

They're almost as feral as the Scots Greys but, as they were wing clipped before we bought them, their attempts to find the highest roosts are doomed to failure. They're pretty good at taxiing though...

Stonehead

ina

I had a triple yolker a few weeks ago - in a bought egg! It was quite big, but nowhere as large as yours... Never had one before.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Hepsibah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Isn't it great keeping your own chooks!! We've seen some funny-looking ones ourselves over the couple of years we've been keeping them. Today we got two tiny practice eggs, one long thin one and one with a seam around the middle. Before I kept my own I thought all eggs were the same. :lol:
Dance like nobody's watching...

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, chooks are great - eggs, fertiliser, cleaning up weeds & pests and entertainment! :mrgreen:

Got to be a winner!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

I had one giant double yolker but it was ridged and misshapen. Yours looks so perfect!

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Phew! That has to be the chicken equivalent of the 14 pound baby my friend Kate pushed out a couple of months ago! :shock: :shock: :shock: I believe there was "cackling" involved with Kate too! Ouch!

Alcina

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Crossing my legs in sympathy to them both!
Now, what did I come in here for??????

Stonehead

Well, Superhen had a tough time of it last week. She became egg-bound with an egg even larger than the one pictured and had to suffer the indignity of having a finger inserted, the egg broken and extracted, and then a dose of Epsom Salts to clear her out.

She spent a couple of days with her tail feathers down, walking like a jackeroo who'd been in the saddle for a month, and generally looking downcast. However, with a few vitamins and some rest from the randy cockerels, she was back on form very quickly and produced another super egg this morning! Same size as the one in the photo.

I'm considering culling her as producing eggs that size every other day is going to take its toll on her, but she's also one of the nicest hens we have so I'm reprieving her for a few days to see how things go.

Stonehead

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well, believe it or not, we've just had a 3 incher pumped out too from one of our Bovans Nera. Perfect in every way..will post a piccy later when OH gets home with the didgy camera...

ow.

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life