My favourite animal is...

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

My favourite animal is...

Having just read Wombat's enthusiastic advocacy of the chicken, I thought I'd ask people which animal is their favourite.

I do have a lot of time for chickens, bees, smaller rare breed cattle and heavy horses (used for work), but the pig is the one for me! And not just any pig, but the Berkshire. They're intelligent, easy to manage, playful, friendly and, well, downright piggy.

Putting aside the anthropomorphism, they turn the ground over, dig out all the weeds, bring stones to the surface and fertilise as they go. You can turn their manure into bio-gas - of which they produce more than any other animal.

They also taste great and you can use almost every part of a pig. However, I will admit there is one downside to the Berkshire. They are without doubt (IMO) the world's tastiest porkers, but they're not a bacon pig. However, I'm prepared to accept that and buy in the occasional baconer.

I've had several other breeds but none have suited me or the way we work our croft as well as the Berkshire does.

And here's one of our Berkshire gilts - a Styberry Mermaid...

Here's to the pig!

Stonehead

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well said Stoney!

I have no experience with them directly, but they sound good!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

They look good, too! And the colour is so much more suitable to a pig's life than this terrible pink, that looks dirty after only one good wallow...

Can't make up my mind what's my favourite animal. So far, I've always had "special friends" whichever animal type I worked with. Lots of people say, sheep are stupid - I don't find them so, but then I've worked quite closely with some of them (and no, I don't just mean that episode with the lamb in my bed :roll: ).
Like Stonehead, I prefer the heavy horse type to the "racers"; the traditional breeds of cattle to highly productive ones - not necessarily rare, but e.g. proper Friesians as opposed to HF. Goats have a lot of character, I find them on the whole cleverer than sheep, or maybe more devious is a better word - but that can get on your nerves if you have work to do! Still, I'm hoping to have some more (for milking) in future. And bees are another item on the wish list (which seems to be getting longer every day). Poultry - don't think I'll go in for turkeys, but apart from that I rather like them all.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

I love my hens (and they are NOT for eating!) as they give me so much pleasure. I'd have them in the house if they didn't poop everywhere. :shock:

I love cats too.

But I think that my favourite animal is the horse. Been dreaming of having my own pony (make that horse now) since the age of about 10. :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't know if it will ever happen.

glenniedragon

Mmm, I think I come down on chickens being my favourite animal, as they are relativly low maintainence, comical to watch, organic pest control (my girls love to get stuck in to an ants nest!) and reward you with eggs. I do remember going into a farmhouse in the Midlands as a child that had the hens walking all over the house, I remember my Dad briefing me in the car about what not to touch! there were kittens under the table, chickens on the floor, dogs on the chairs and goats in the yard-kid heaven!

kind thoughts
Deb

Lucy Robyn
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Being a pet person rather than a livestock one my favorite is cats, inspite of the digging up of my veg patch. I've also kept rats and they are lovely. My rabbit tends to have rather alot of attitude and is not cudley at all. Pigs sound like fun but I just couldn't eat them. Chickens are on the wish list.

Shirley

the pig is fab!!!

I like sheep too - didn't find ours to be stupid at all - quite the contrary actually.

Geese are great - they have such attitude and are so full of themselves too. Ducks are brilliant fun to watch - could watch for hours and they are sooooooo noisy too. I could go outside in a bad mood and be laughing in minutes at their antics, especially when they are in the water.

I do like my chooks too - oh god, I'm not very good at this am I?? I like them all :cheers:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've never kept any animals (intentionally...the mice were not exactly honoured guests!) except cats, so I'm no expert at the day to day care of farmed animals. However, my friend's dad keeps rare chickens and the odd duck and I've helped clean them out a few times...and I have to say...I LOVED the ducks! :lol: They were so cute...they'd peer around the corner to watch me and then run away quacking when I approached. And they just loved the sprinkler! Sweet! And they produced yummy eggs and I guess you could also eat them...though I've never been sure that I could kill an animal I've looked after :( Alas I am a true townie... :(

Alcina

Boots

My favourite is whatever one I happen to be talking to at the time, I think.

Pigs are definately cool. Very cool. There is something about the pig personality that is hard to put in words. They are a very different animal, and they have a sense of humour. I am certain of that. They giggle their little tails off at us, I swear it.

Goats - I love goats too. They are much more serious. Always thinking and have memories like I dunno what. They remember heaps. People, places, colours, trails, tools... they seem to store everything and that fascinates me.

Ducks don't have either of those qualities. They are hilarious. I love the way they discuss everything and will just go with the first to move. There is no boss, just a moment of "Huh! What the... Oi, I'm coming too!" and then they all waddle off in a rush to nowhere. Then gather and rouse on each other... "What we doin here then, huh?" I dunno, you moved!" "No, I was following you!" "No way Ducky - you called advance!"
Mutter Mutter Mumble Mumble... lots of neck poking goes on.

And then one of them moves again!

I like dogs over cats. Cats are rude. No manners and don't care to learn any either. You can tell a cat to get off your keyboard or out of your garden 50 times and they just give that look and go straight back to it, waving the tip of their tail like an index finger. :cat:

Dogs will at least wait till your not looking.

I like all animals. Can't think of one I'm not fond of.... Hang on, Camels. I don't like camels one little bit. One spat on me once and I doubt I will ever forget it. :pale:

Chickenlady

This week, we are mostly liking...tadpoles!! Brand new pond but the frog spawn found its way in, as it magically does. Still, not really what you had in mind, unless you like frogs legs.

I do love my chickens too, but have a particular soft spot for sheep. Not sure why. They are just a bit soft and gentle I suppose.
Haste makes waste

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Now, what was it Churchill said - something like 'Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, but pigs treat you as equals'. He was a pig keeper himself, apparently.
Boots wrote:My favourite is whatever one I happen to be talking to at the time, I think.
Be sure to lets us know when they start talking back.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Boots

MSG TO MUDDY. STOP. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO TYPE WITH TROTTERS. STOP. PLEASE PASS DUE RESPECT TO BERKSHIRE PORKER FROM AUSTRALIA. STOP. WE PIGS DO NOT SIMPLY SPEAK. STOP. WE ALSO SING. STOP. LAh LAh LAAAAAH. STOP. BEST YOU BOOK OUT THE MOVIE BABE. STOP. AUSTRALIAN MADE. STOP. BEST WISHES FROM MISS KEETA, AUSTRALIAN GREAT WHITE. STOP.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Boots - Urgent -

Is the pig reading yet? Don't let her see a copy of Animal Farm - you know, 'Four legs good; two legs bad'. The pigs end up taking over the world.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Boots

Just went out to ask her, and she told me to come back after she'd finished playing chess with the goat.
:mrgreen:

Hepsibah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Okay.. now you're just being silly aren't you? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dance like nobody's watching...