organic horses can cause examination failure

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
penny turner

organic horses can cause examination failure

In 2001 I passed the fairly prestigious British Equestrian Tourism Center Manager Examination. This is run by the British Horse Society.
I ALMOST didn't pass, and was told that the examiners were concerned about my attitude to horse worming.
I stated that I thought routine worming as advocated in most horsey mags and advice columns including that of BHS is bad for horses, bad for the environment and promoted by the companies (you know the ones) that sell these.
I further stated that I normally work in Europe setting up Equestrian Tourism concerns in areas of great environmental importance where you can`t just pour drugs onto the land via livestock. I quoted the example of the problems caused by the ill advised worming of elephants at various national parks in Africa. I also mentioned that to keep animals organically you may use medicines if they are needed because of ill health in the animal, but are not allowed to use medicines prophilactically.
In order to qualify to take the above examination you need to have a high level of knowledge and experience.
But it seems that the BHS (which is the only body that gives such qualifications) feels qualiofied to decide what conclusions said expertise may draw from said experience.
IE, you can have any opinion as long as it is the same as ours.
And this is pernicious in that it forces most people into a highly chemically enriched horse keeping experience, which no one says is necessary, or useful, except those who sell us the drugs.
The professional Association to which one is obliged to belong if one is to proceed in the field of horseyness is out of order in this I believe.
If you are horsey please check the alternative ways t o keep your horse healthy.
Penny

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I must admit the title of this post did really interest me. One of the best things about this site is getting to hear what really goes on out there. I must admit although I am disgusted with what the BHS and other organisations are promoting, but I am not really that surprised.

I am sure that a similar thing happens with bovarian farmers. I have heard a few horror stories about the chemicals they have to put on the cattle.

It is honarable that you stood up for your self on this matter especially as you nearly had to sacrfice the certificate and by the sounds of things jeapodise your carrer.
If you are horsey please check the alternative ways to keep your horse healthy.
Is there any websites or otehr sources of information that you could recomend?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

penny turner

alternative horse health

I am glad what I said was interesting.
For horsey people who want to find a way out of the chemical vicious circle, there isn’t a terrible lot of stuff available. Everyone seems to believe what the pharmacutical companies want us to believe. There are a few companies that do natural cures and herbal feed additives. These advertise in the horsey press.
One book that is helpful, in that it gives an idea that there are alternatives to accepted horse culture, and does talk sense is
The Organic Horse by Peter Gray (bought from eco-logic books, natch)
Another interesting book because of a different perspective is “Wild Healthâ€Â

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Penny,

What do you think of the "Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable" by Juliette De Bairacli Levy?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

penny Turner

books

This is a very good book. I gave my copy to someone for his sheep and now cannot find it. Hear it is out of print. Very interested in her stuff about correct time to gather plants and so on.
Penny

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for that, I bought my copy years ago, I will keep a look out for one for you (second hand).

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/