bees

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

bees

I have finally got round to joining a bee keeping group and learning about bees....are there people on this site who keep bees, I seem to remember that there are...I hope they won't mind if I appeal for help and advice now and then.

Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: bees

diver wrote:I have finally got round to joining a bee keeping group and learning about bees....are there people on this site who keep bees, I seem to remember that there are...I hope they won't mind if I appeal for help and advice now and then.
I did keep bees, but a sudden cold snap in March after a mild winter killed them. With a colder winter, they would have stayed balled up in the middle of the hive. Instead, they started opening up and had even started flying when we had a couple of weeks of sub-zero temperatures and heavy snow.

It was a shame as they were very good bees (non-aggressive, didn't follow) and had good food reserves left.

Unfortunately, two new nucleuses would cost about £200 plus delivery, while two full hives would cost even more. With the trailer now having died, I don't think we'll be getting bees again soon unless we can find a swarm (and they're always a risk).

Still, if I can help with answering questions I will, but I'm a relative novice to beekeeping in the UK although my mother was an apiarist back in Australia. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will pop up!

Stonehead