Chickens not laying

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
MClan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Chickens not laying

Hi,

we have 4 bantams. 1 cockerel and 3 girls. Only one started laying. Laid 8 eggs went broody and stopped. The others haven't even started!

So much for my dreams of homelaid eggs every day.

Any ideas why anybody? They are well fed and watered

Karen

MClan

Re: Chickens not laying

They are only young ones but we were expecting them to start laying about 8 weeks ago. We've had them since they were chicks. Can't remember exact age.

Karen

becky3086
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Most of my chickens haven't laid until about 4 months of age, some later but it does depend on how much light they get. You could add a light in the coop to extend the daylight hours for them.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi there, as ageneral rule of thumb chickens are point of lay from 16 weeks but can take a while longer before they begin. This is a ropey time of year for point of lays as the daylight hours are changing rapidly. We've been lucky with ours and they have just begun to lay, i honestly didnt expect any results until early next year when light levels increased again.
If they are gaining weight and appear happy i wouldnt worry. You can place a light box in their coop to extend their daylight hours this will encourage them to lay all winter. Good Luck! xx