FEATHER MITE

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

FEATHER MITE

does anyone have any knolage about feather mites my chooks have developed bald patches and there is a white crumbly type stuff in the coop (looks a bit like crushed quills)
any ideas gratefully recieved
try hard mean well and never give up

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: FEATHER MITE

You can buy powder for feather mite,I've seen it in my local country store.Are their feet/legs ok?If the skin looks lifted(scaly)then you probably have red mite.You can easily fix this,either brush on olive oil,or vaseline/petroleum jelly.You will also have to scrub their perches,coop ect.Have you got a local shicken breeder type person you could contact,maybe they would be willing to come and have a look,and steer you in the right direction.I think its best you get this properly diagnosed before starting any treatment.

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks happyhippy
it is definately not red mite been ther done that
might have to by some feather mite powder and have a go is it better than most of the red mite powders which dont seem to work
does any one know if dusting the birds with diamos earth will work on feather mite

bonniethomas06

Hi there,

Might it be scaly leg?(the scales are rough and almost horizontal instead of being flat and glossy)

This is different to red mite and as above, is treated by soaking the legs in warm water/TCP solution for about 5 mins, gently brushing under the lifted scales on the legs with a toothbrush and then the whole leg is coated with a thick layer of vaseline. Can't hurt to clean out the henhouse as well.

I have had better fun than soaking the legs of ten hens for 5 minutes each, but have treated mine in this way before and the problem goes away.

Bonnie
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks bonnie
how do you convice the hens to stand in the warm water ?
i will have a look at thier legs to morrow