how much to feed a pig

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

how much to feed a pig

im looking at getting a couple of pigs to fatten in the garden the area i have is about 10foot by 50 foot so enough space ,
but i can find nowhere which tells me how to work out thier rations for daily feeding is there a rule of thumb or a laid down formula to enable me to work out how much to feed cause im fairly sertain that if i demand feed i will be rearing fat not pork
im sertain some of the wise sages here will have some ideas :cheers:
try hard mean well and never give up

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: how much to feed a pig

we are not doing pigs this year as we have lots in the freezer from last year (maybe 4 was too many!)

but from memory it is a pound per day per pig per month of age up to a max of 4 pounds

so.. a weaner that between 2-3 months old would get 2 lbs per day, when they reach 3 months old they get 3 lbs a day. etc.. when we get to giving them 4 lbs a day, we dont increase it anymore. you can reduce how much you are giving them if they get something else.. say a load of apples

spect someone will be along with another formula yet :icon_smile:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks alot that really helps with working out the costs
try hard mean well and never give up

red

the best way we found to make the financially viable was to do the butchering ourselves - we got the pigs back in halves, and took it from there. not as tricky as it would seem. you cant do this for other people though.. unless you have the appropriate hygiene certs etc etc.. but for your own use you can. saves quite a bit.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi. We were told it was a pound per pig per day of a grower's ration too, but up to a max of 6lbs. We give our pigs half ration per day and make up the rest with whatever glut of veg we have at the moment, along with cooked potatoes which our local potato farm sells us for 50c per 25kg bad (its the damaged spuds they can't sell to the public).

chicken feed
Tom Good
Tom Good

if its a rare breed /traditional pig 1lb per pig per day but no more than 4lb any more and all you will grow is fat.