Is my hay ruined?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
devolutionary
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Is my hay ruined?

Our first foray into hay production, so a beginner question here: I cut and turned about half an acre of hay yesterday while it was over 30C, only to have it rained on by three unexpected showers. Today it's mid 20sC and overcast, with reliably hot sun (32C) tomorrow and the day after (35C). Can I leave my hay damp all day and overnight today, then turn and bale it tomorrow (this is all by hand, obviously), or is my hay ruined?

It's for the horse.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is my hay ruined?

I don't know a lot about haymaking, but I think common sense would dictate that leaving it as wet as it is for any length of time is asking for trouble. A shower or two shouldn't hurt it too much if you take action now and you're now looking at a few good drying days to come. I think I'd be out there right now turning it again - even throwing it about a bit to get the dry air in amongst it.

Best of luck ... Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Keep turning it and it'll be grand once the high temps return. Judt don't leave it lying damp for any length of time. Good luck. Xx

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mrs H wrote:Keep turning it and it'll be grand once the high temps return.
I admire your optimism. :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I'd lift it a bit today if you can, then turn it when the top is dry and turn again before you think of baling, may need a few days dry weather though before it's dry enough for storage :(

best of g'luck
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

devolutionary

Thanks everyone. The showers are conspiring to make me work unnecessarily hard - forecast at 7 this evening and 7 tomorrow morning. So it looks like I'll be turning it a few times before I put it away. Ah well, it's not as if I didn't have anything better to do...