the goats are eating their new goat house!

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
madwitch
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

the goats are eating their new goat house!

Our 2 gorgeous pygmy goats are doing a wonderful job keeping the hens safe from the foxes but they seem to be obsessed with chewing at the wooden goat house that they all live in.
They have plenty of woody shrubs and forage to go at but they really like to eat their house!
Any brilliant ideas on how to stop them? Would a good coat of creosote stop them (hopefully not by poisoning them). And I do mean creosote the shed not the goats!!
rule breakers are important to the structure of society - unknown (by me at least!)

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: the goats are eating their new goat house!

Creosoting the goats is probably the best option!

I've never known a goat that hasn't had a nibble of the wooden housing, regardless of their surroundings.
But then, we don't use real creosote, just shed/fence stuff. And regularly patch up & repair the shed & fences :)

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Creosote is a carcinogen!! Don't use it.....Our goats nibble their wooden housing and also the roofing felt on the top. They stopped when we got then a mineral lick, don't know if this was the reason or just a coincidence. Good luck!!

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm afraid to say thats probably coincidence - our goats always have a mineral lick ... and still eat the shed/fence!