Bees, Chickens and Goats

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Massey
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bees, Chickens and Goats

Hi i currently keep bess and i used to keep chickens. i thinking about getting chickens again and looking at getting a couple of milking goats too.

from reading another topic i take it its not great to keep the chickens with the goats but can i keep the chickens with the bees and can i keep goats with the bees,

will the chickens leave the bees alone and vice versa....
and
will the goats leave the bees alone and vice versa....

hope its clear what i'm asking if not let me know and i'll try and clarify,

thanks for your time.

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Bees, Chickens and Goats

the goats could well try and climb on, or knock the hives... which will upset the bees!
if you can somehow fence the hives from the goats' immediate access, there shouldn't be too much problem. goats aren't that keen on honey!
same with the chickens I would think.

how close together are you thinking they'll be?!

Massey
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i will have them inthe same area but what you say about the goats is very true, you are right as well i know the bees will be very angry - probably kill the goat- so now i have to workout if it would be best to keep the chickens with the bees or the goats or just all 3 separate,

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

I wouldn't think the bees and chickens would be a problem, I am thinking of doing the same eventually. The bees wouldn't see the chickens as a threat and the chickens wouldn't bother the hives. Goats are a different kettle of fish aren't they?

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

The chickens and bees will not be a problem, suitably sepertated in tems of height. Goats however will break everything in between trying to eat everything. They will eat your bee hive. You will need to fence it with strong stuff. Remember, goats like to stand on their back legs, stretch their necs and munch on anything. It will give the bees the serious hump.

Out here, the sheppard takes them out in the mornings and brings them back at night, well I say takes them. They wait at the gate for him and they peel of back in as he passes at night. (that works out at about 3 levs or £1.25 per month, cheaper than buying food), So we dont have to worry about them thinking about what to trash all day. We have great sirine and milk though, so would not be without them.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

you can keep goats and chickens together quite happily, with seperate sleeping quarters and shared outdoor space.
as long as you have a decent amount of space for the goats to graze without standing in chicken poop.
you have to keep the chicken grain away from the goats though as they will eat it all and it will make them ill.
just make a seperate goat proofed chicken coup with nest boxes for your eggs and feed the chickens in there, out the way of the goats.
regarding the bees, id put their hive at the opposite end of you property, away from the animals just to be safe.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'