Small flock introductions

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
chrispenglish
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Small flock introductions

I've got a 4 bird Eglu which currently houses 2 birds (since this morning when Mrs Brown had to be put out of her misery :( )

I'm thinking about adding 2 more birds (I know from bitter experience that adding one is a no no)

Does anyone have experience of this situation or advice as to how to make it work?

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Small flock introductions

Not with an Eggloo, no, but when I add new birds I just set up a temporary small pen next door so that the established bird and the new arrivals can see each other but not reach each other. 48 hours is usually enough.

oldjerry

I think this is the biggest prob involved in keeping poultry on a garden scale.Having said that,I've known times when even 1 new addition has fitted in fine,'though you are right,generally it's a disaster.
Couple of things that may help:
The breed is fairly important,as is the strain.Something fairly docile like a LS or one of their crosses will take to new additions more easily.
I've always put another run together beside the existing one they put feed down between the two runs so that each group can feed through the wire of their run on the same feed at the same time.Do this for a week or so ,then put them together(I'd put the resident hens in the new 'temporary' run).I know this could be more difficult with your Eglu (I 've seen a lot of that system,in fact if you bought hens from the firm at the same time as the box thing a couple of years ago,I probably delivered them...in a van,rather than gynecologically....)
Most important of all,introduce them after dark,and put them in the shed/box whatever,and if you work 9 to 5,do it on Friday night so you've got the weekend to sort out any probs.
Lastly,cross your fingers/touch wood/say a prayer etc........and good luck!

oldjerry

Sorry Jon our posts crossed(our kids must wake up at the same time) if I've repeated your advice apologies. OJ

The Riff-Raff Element

oldjerry wrote:Sorry Jon our posts crossed(our kids must wake up at the same time) if I've repeated your advice apologies. OJ
Yours was more comprehensive!

chrispenglish
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you both very much - I'll do as much of those things as I can

Neither of you mentioned crossing toes...... :?