Howdy from Alabama

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
quibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Howdy from Alabama

Howdy from the hills of north Alabama. I've been enjoying our recent cool snap. It's a great break from the 100 degree weather of the past few weeks. (That would be about 38 degrees Celsius for most folks reading this!)

For a number of years, er, um, decades, I kept a nice, large kitchen garden. Work demands and a move to a location that's more limestone than soil pulled me away from gardening for the last 8 years. I kept a couple of small herb plots for cooking but I sure missed working in my old garden.

This Spring, while wandering around the local big-box building supply store, I found a stack of large plant pots for sale at clearance prices. I guess even my plodding brain can make a leap to the obvious on rare occasions. As I looked at the stack of pots, it hit me that these would be great for growing vegetables. I bought the whole stack of cheap pots and am getting my hands in the dirt again. It's like remembering to breath. Raised beds are coming next. I think I can make this rocky place bloom and I suspect it'll make me grow right along with it. That kind of sounds like it's mutual rather than self sufficentish. Well, whatever it is, it's keeping me smiling.

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Howdy from Alabama

well, bloomin' good luck to you. :cheers:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Millymollymandy

Hiya and welcome and good luck with the container gardening!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Hi and welcome
:flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

ina

Hiya Quibble, welcome to Ish!

Lots of containers in my garden, too... :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

quibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks to all for the nice welcome.

It's been fun figuring out some of the challenges of container gardening. Although weeding and cultivating are a lot easier on my time and my aching back, the container plants require more attention to watering and feeding. I think the stretches of really hot days with 100 degree (Fahrenheit) plus temperatures present some challenges to the container plants too. (I put a couple of containers on wheels and have been moving them around in or out of the sun on the hot days to see if these mobile plants handle the heat better than the containers that aren't mobile.)

I've been reading some great posts on this forum that have given me some new ideas for Fall planting and for next Spring.

Self-watering containers look like an interesting thing to experiment with. I think I'll try my hand at manufacturing a couple.

Learning something new is always fun and this looks like a nice place to learn.

red

welcome :flower:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog