Midnight Farm Recycling Project. -A house for free?

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
MidnightFarm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Midnight Farm Recycling Project. -A house for free?

It's time to spread the word! Recycling can be fun and often neccessitates being creative too. So what could you do with that empty bottle, old bath tub, food tin etc? Most local councils here in the UK have facilities for recycling plastics, glass, metals etc. But what about the things that get over looked? what about the things that are difficult to recycle? Things like tyres, bricks, double glazing units, can be a recycling nightmare. We need to think differently, we need to reuse these items, we need to be creative about their potential. This is where we come in.

We have decided to undertake the project of a lifetime and show just what can be done with all of these things. Let me explain. Being the sort of person who decides "it's all or nothing", I kinda got a bit carried away with the big idea. It started out quite tame, as collecting left over building materials to build a workshop. but inspiration ran away with the idea and it quickly developed into what it is now. We are going to build a farm completely out of recycled materials (farm house, barn, outbuildings, fencing etc..).
We are still at the design stage at the moment, feeling quite excited about the whole project and looking forward to getting started. We have decided to go down the general route of the eco house style of building, preferably off-grid too. Adopting new and old technologies to facilitate our ultimate goal of being self sufficient.
We have outlined some of the directions we will be taking, like using rammed earth tyres to make the walls. This has many benefits; an easy (but labour intensive) technique that all the family can get involved with, high thermal mass properties, more practical than straw bales (damp and fire proofing, rodents etc.), and we get to recycle several thousand tyres too! We may be recycling old double glazing units by modernising them into more efficient tripple glazed, inert gas filled units.
I am particularly interested in experimenting with renewable energy recources, developing and testing new ideas, adapting old ones too.

We are very passionate about recycling and creating our dream, so I'll stop there for now as I could probably write a book about it! ..but before I go for now, I have to share with you all the look on peoples face when I say I'm going to build a house for free, out of rubbish, with walls made from tyres. Not only that, but it'll not have mains electricity, gas, phone...... priceless!
Anyway, please please get in touch if you have any ideas or comments. We'd love to hear from you, no matter how silly you may think, it is often the smaller ideas that get lost behind the bigger picture.... On the other hand you may wish to give me the number of a good psychiatrist........

Jay, Midnight Farm.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Midnight Farm Recycling Project. -A house for free?

Best of luck with your project.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

alanw0
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wow! Good luck with it.
Make sure you keep some sort of journal/blog through the experience, it will make really interesting reading.

spider8

Yes, I'm sure most of us on here would like to follow your progress. Good luck with it Jay :thumbright: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

if i were doing this i would want to have a proper old fasoned cold store instead of a fridge as a larder store area. plenty of space and shelves for jars of stuff kept at a low temp. just needs a good fitting door to ensure that the cold stays where its ment to be.

in one place i lived the entrance hall was downstairs was always at about 10 degrees and made a perfect wine and beer chiller coupled with a nice way to keep veg out of the fridge and still fresh.

also one if you are running afridge or feezer ou can make it mroe efficent by having the exchanger elements agaisnt a cold place to enable them to cool the coolant faster so it has to do less work to remain cold. so like a cubourd with a fridge in it.

one other thing would be to use soild fuel fires throughout over gas or electric central heating. that said i cant see why it would be hard to run a heating pipe and exchanger through the fires to heat water for radiators in other rooms. using a central tank of hot water and a pump to shift it upstairs for example to heat the upper areas with the "wasted" heat.

OR again hypotheticaly using hollow brick construction for the flues soe there are hot gas radiators within the walls or floor to duct the wasted heat to keep a second room warmer (imagine a nice warm floor in the bathroom on a cold winters day) Ala roman baths

. damm it im being an engineer again and over complicating things

MidnightFarm

Thanks for your encouragement, we really have found a friendly bunch of similarly minded people on this site. We are still newbies, I was wondering if there was anywhere on selsufficientish to post a blog? I would love to share our journey with anyone who was interested.

Hi Paul, it sounds like we share similar ideas. We were thinking about having a walk in pantry, on the north side of the building -possibly with earth bunding on the outside to for insulation. I think the door comment is a good one, the pantry may also benefit from having a step or 2 downwards into it, creating a cold air trap.
We were going to have a 'biomass heat generator', or a wood burning stove to me and you! I like the way you were thinking about exhaust heat, I was thinking about running the chimbney horizontally to transfer heat into the house, instead of the air above.
We were also going to use the burner to heat the water in an open circuit, self circulating system to minimise energy requirements.

Still not found a useful freezer to use off-grid though....

boboff

MIdnight, Dick & James Strawbride have a book on Self Sufficiency which does go into superficial detail on lots of things, like the room heating idea, as well as other sustainable alternatives. Not sure where you are but they do do tours and meals round the farm, bit of a treat, but great to pick ideas from.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MidnightFarm

Ah yes, I remember the series. It's a nice setup they have there. I particularly liked the overshot waterwheel generator idea (not that we could do that, being on the top of a ridge!). Am I right in thinking they were Devon/Cornwall direction? We're building slap bang in the middle of the country in Leicestershire. I have been to CAT in Wales though.